HBT2000 review by Harley Benton

Harley Benton: HBT2000

Purchased from: www.thomann.de

The weak point is the pickups, nothing wrong with them per se, but as with all single coils, they tend to be a bit noisy, especially when used for home recording with a pc. The overall sound is typically bright. Used with a DigiTech RP50 and a Roland Microcube, I'm more than satisfied with the variety of tones I can get with this set up (I've now replaced the pickups).

I changed to fitted pickups to a set of Fender Vintage Noiseless, the difference these have made to this guitar is staggering. What was a good solid instrument, is now something very, very special. As this model is no longer made/stocked by Harley Benton/Thomann, I've got a pretty unique guitar, which compared to a mid 50's Fender Telecaster I owned some years ago, is vastly superior in every way. The only thing it lacks, is a 'famous name' on the headstock. For a total price of, inc the new pickups, just over 200, I've got a guitar that would surely cost many times that amount to get equal quality in a named guitar. I showed it to a guy Who works in my local guitar shop, and asked him if he'd heard of the make and what his overall impressions were. He told me he'd never heard of Harley Bentons before, and going off the build quality/sound, he guessed that I'd paid some between 400 to 600. I've got a bargain.

I've not had it long enough to form a opinion, tho' as it's strictly for home use, durability isn't really a issue. As a backup guitar, I reckon it would be perfect.

The action was good out of the box, but with a bit of careful adjustment, now has to be seen/played to be believed. I dare say other people will struggle to play this guitar as the action is so low. Overall, the wax/oil finish is good, there is nothing to criticise on this guitar for me, and the hardware appears to be solid enough.

Korean/Chinese manufactured I guess. Flame maple top on a basswood body, set neck in the classic Tele shape, Tele style bridge, bog standard single coil pickups and tone/volume controls, with unknown tuners. The neck is the slimmest I can ever recall seeing, like as not, it will be much to slim for a lot of people. It came supplied with suitable key for both bridge and truss rod, tho' the truss rod key is slightly too large.

rv_phoenix
    How can you rate a 10 for the impression an insrtument that has driven you to replacing its pickups? How much would you rate an original Fender Telecaster, in such conditions? A 9, I bet! Reviews like that make wonder why do we still keep the "Reviews" section open, here at the UG. It seems that everybody who's thrilled to have a guitar seems encouraged to post a review. Not of the actual guitar, but of his thrill to have one. Regardless the actual features and quality of the instrument itself. This HB, for instance, is one of the worst copies of a Tele which can actually bought on our planet. It competes with Antoria, Dimavery or Xaviere (hopefully Behringer won't inaugurate a Tele-style guitar line, otherwise the winner is clear). No "twang", no mellow solos on the neck pickup, no screaming leads on the bridge... The sustain is comparable only to the sustain of other HB crappy guitars, but, given the mahogany body (the so-called "light mahogany", to differentiate it from the real mahogany used in the hi-end Teles or in Les Pauls), sustain is quite poor. Let's not talk about saddles, bridge, frets and tuning pegs: all of them should be replaced, if you want this firewood get a chance to suvive. An 8,6 overall? Maybe a minus 8,6.
    boozebreaker
    Hou have one I presume ?You must have to pass comments like this ,arsehole .They are made by Shine guitars and the one I had was very good for the 120 quid I paid .It was playable without mods ,needed no fret levelling though several Fenders I have owned did ,Good value and works .wish i had kept it .