L-450 GT P90 Review

manufacturer: Harley Benton date: 03/23/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Harley Benton: L-450 GT P90
The sound and features of this Harley Benton L-450 GT P90 are really good, especially for the price. This guitar has a good clean creamy sound and goes well with some overdrive and distortion.
 7.9
 7.8
 3,987
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
L-450 GT P90 Reviewed by: PedalFreak94, on march 23, 2015

Price paid: € 129

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: Harley Benton L-450 GT P90 from their "Classic Series." Basswood body with a set-in maple neck with "C" neckshape. Rosewood Thomann fretboard with trapezoid inlays, creme binding, 22 frets, 628 mm scale, 43 mm nut-width. Double-action trussrod, 2 x vintage-style covered P90 pickups. 2-volume, 2-tone, a 3-way switch, tune-o-matic bridge, chrome hardware, diecast tuners, 010-046 strings. With the classic hi-gloss gold top color. Amazing finish that looks so astonishing! This model was made in 2011 in China. The body style is obviously a Les Paul-type body. // 7

Sound: The sound of this Harley Benton L-450 GT P90 is actually really good, especially for the price. 129€ - that's insane, really! It has that creamy Les Paul sound to it and the P90 pickups is really authentic too. This GT P90 will be able to suit a wide variety of musical styles. Everything from rock/classic rock to pop, blues, jazz and beyond!

For my own style of music I may find the GT P90 a little too creamy and mahogany'ish, but the fact that this is a Les Paul copy it's of course supposed to sound like a Les Paul; mahogany'ish! I use this GT P90 with my Marshall MG100 DFX amp running through a Boss GT-10 multi effect. With that setup I can achieve some killer sounds and really make the GT P90 stand out!

Though, one thing that I've discovered is that the pickups can be really noisy.. I'm thinking this is because of the quality of the electronics and also that the pickups isn't shielded. BUT, this is really no problem at all, just use a Noise Suppressor and that will surely remove the noise. I've done that and it will not harm your sound. Soundwise this Harley Benton GT P90 will be able to compete with some of the more pricey brands out on the market, no doubt. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight out of the box the guitar played nicely and none of the frets were sticking out or sharp. Of course the action and the bridge height had to be adjusted, but that's easy to do - and after that being done the GT P90 played even better! The P90 pickups were actually adjusted just right, at least they were set a the hight I like, so no need to adjust there. The bridge, neck, 3-way switch and the rest were in excellent condition - no complaints. As far as I could see I didn't find any flaws - really great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As far as reliability and durability goes, I would say that with the proper care and handling, this GT P90 would last you a life time. You can use it for live playing, practicing and rehearsal with your band. When set up correctly there shouldn't be any problems. Hardware and beyond is solid, no problems there.

Though, I would consider changing the strings, pickups (or at least shield them), tuning pegs and the strap buttons. The strap buttons mounted from the factory is kind of weak, get some good ones so you won't drop it. I would say this GT P90 will be good as a backup guitar, but also as your electric guitar of choice - really, it will do you just right. The finish will look and stay beautiful as long as it gets a good clean up and some wiping, every time the strings' being changed. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I was very surprised by the GT P90 and its features. Seriously, for 129€ there's nothing to complain about! It suits my playing style and the music I play. It has a good clean creamy sound and goes well with some overdrive and distortion.

I've been playing guitar for over 13 years and I've had some different guitar between that time, and I must say, this GT P90 really changed my view on electric guitars in general! A guitar really don't have to be pricey as heck for it to play nice and sound good - with the right setup, some good strings and a little modification/adjustment you're there!

I own an Epiphone Les Paul Slash Limited Edition Gold Top and the two guitars are quite similar. Of course the sound is a little different, because of the pickups. The GT P90 has P90 and my Epiphone has humbuckers.

If this GT P90 ever was lost, broken or stolen I would buy a new, no doubt - it's value for money - bang for the buck! I love the Gold Top finish and the headstock, why you ask, well, the headstock actually looks a lot more like a Gibson headstock and that really gives the GT P90 a more classy and stylish look. It doesn't look cheap or poorly made. Give it a go and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. // 9

Comments