MS15 review by Harley Benton

Harley Benton: MS15

Purchased from: Thomann

A five-way selector gives abilities to produce a lot of different sound-schemes from distortion-crying AC/DC to nice warm blues sounds. The pickups are ok, but sound a bit noisy when near any electronical source like a TV or computer monitor. But this is a single-coil typical problem I think. Using the standard strings delivered whith this guitar, it sounded a bit "muddy" and "dirty". I changed them and took a set of "Ernie Balls regulary slinky" instead. And it sounds great now! Really nice.

I'm really impressed of that guitar. The MS15 proofed that good instruments don't need to cost a lot. I like that warm sound and the lightness of the guitars body. But you should change the strings and use another amp. The Benton one isn't that good.

Well, I don't have this guitar that long, but it looks very solid and professionell to me. If I would have played that one at a music-store and would have seen that prize, I would have thought it might be a mistake of some employee or something like that.

I couldn't find any flaws yet. It's all set-up properly and clean. Well, the lacquer finish isn't that good. but you have to take a very close look to find anything like that what means: someone standing a few steps away wouldn't notice anything.

I bought this one a few months ago. It was included in a beginners set (MS15BK, small amp and gigbag). The guitar is a typical Strat-like one with 3 single coil pickups (passive electronics) and a standard bridge (I think it's called "Tune-O-Matic"). The neck is screwed. There are two tone-controls. However, one of them don't seem to make any sound differences.

mortipeng
    Both reviews sounded quite useful to me. I really need a cheap guitar for horsing around with which isn't that bad quality. Therefore I think I give harley benton MS15BK a try. btw the translations for Palisander and Ahorn would be Rosewood and Maple Greetings from Germany