H-802 review by Harmony

Harmony: H-802

This is a very good Ramones and Sex Pistols sounding guitar due to the really good humbucking pickups. I either play it through a Fender Champion 300, Crate 30, or a Raven RG60. I like its sound best through the later primarily because the amps mid-range sounding distortion sounds nicely with the bass range pickups on the guitar. I get a subtle hum when I don't touch the strings, but other than that its dead silent. The guitar really sounds great clean on the neck pickup because of its warm tone, and sounds almost like an Acoustic when played like that. But it is a really good classic punk guitar because of its wild bridge pickup. You get a tone that is almost a duplicate of Steve Jones when played through a Fender amp, and a great Ramones tone when played through a Marshall or Raven. But overall, this is a pretty warm sounding guitar, and it earns a 10 for versatility and sound.

For punk, this is a great choice. Metal, not so much, and for lead playing not the best. I feel that this guitar gives me a unique tone and feeling, so this is guitar is only second to a Tele for me. If you see this guitar, you would be happy buying it. I have been playing for 2 years, so since I know how to set it up I could fix it easily. But for a beginner, I don't think this would be good unless you want to pay money for a professional to set it up. If it were stolen or lost, I would cry. Unfortunately, this guitar isn't made anymore so I couldn't buy a new one. Fortunately, this guitar is not the best guitar ever, so I would probably buy a Les Paul Junior to replace it. But if that ever happened, I'll always have a special place in my heart for the Harmony I loved and owned since the beginning of my guitar playing days. That aside, I would give this guitar an average of 7. It also is a great collector's item, so it gets a bonus point for that. So that's all for my review on the Harmony H-802. Cheers!

This guitar will(and has)withstand live playing, but I suggest that you bring 2 so that when it goes out of tune, you can get it retuned by a roadie and still be playing. With the exception of the bridge and tuners, the hardware on this guitar will last a very long time. Even though you could play live without a backup, its always common sense to bring two just incase you break a string. The finish is quite good, and it will probably also last a while. For reliability and durability, I give this guitar an 8.

This guitar really sucks action wise. After I found it, I had about 3 hours of tweaking to do before I could even play past the 7th fret! On the lowest action it can get, you still can't play past the 17th fret. For my style of music, this is ok because punk solos usually don't go past the 12th, and I have a rhythm-style of solos. The pickups were pretty high also, but it only took a minute to adjust that. The only hardware flaw would be the input jack. It is extremely loose, and to tighten it you must remove the entire pick guard, which take 2 hours at least. For action, fit and finish, I give this guitar a 3.

I found this guitar in my dad's garage a while back. I thought it looked a lot like Johnny Ramone's Mosrite, and that was the reason I wanted it. It was made in Japan, but if you are going to buy this guitar, don't let that stop you. It has 22 jumbo(i believe)frets, but if you like to play the high frets, I wouldn't recommend this one since it has a pretty high action. It is a solid top guitar, with a beautiful transparent sunburst finish. The shape reminds me of a Mosrite Ventures II like the one Johnny Ramone played. The bridge is a cheap spin-off of a tune-o-matic, and I suggest you replace it if you like to play lead, and for a better and longer lasting tuning. I had limited resources when researching this guitar, so I don't know if the electronics are passive or active. The guitar is good for punk, as it has only 1 tone knob and one volume knob, but for genres that require a specific tone setup this isn't your best choice. The pickups are the H-802 Standard pickups, and they most closely resemble the sound of P-90s. The tuners also aren't the best, as they are really hard to turn and they don't stay in place for very long, so I also suggest you replace these. So in overall quality of the guitar's look, hardware, and feel, I give this guitar a 7.

pete-c
    You say it's got humbuckers but I don't think they are, they look like singlecoils of some kind (probably close in design to P90s as you mentioned).
    IbanezMayhem674
    You'd replace it with a Les Paul Junior?.... Mind me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you've actually played it live.
    JacksonDinky!
    Angel aka alaab
    JacksonDinky! wrote: Wait, why would you be put off of a guitar just because it was made in japan?? Jackson makes guitars in Japan, and mine is pretty awesome.
    +1 MIJ FTW! Japanese guitars are badass, Japan quality is = to US quality
    friendly fire
    Japan is like the third richest country in the world. You'd have to be friggin stupid to think they'd have low manufacturing standards