H-150CM review by Heritage

Heritage: H-150CM

Price paid: $ 1900

Purchased from: Jent's House of Music

What ever style you prefer, this guitar has it all. I've read reviews and lots of people say that, but this guitar really does. I play many different styles, ranging from Deftones to Led Zepplin, Stevie Ray Vaughan to John Mayer-esque music. This guitar can handle anything. The knobs respond to the slightest movement so it truly has limitless capabilities, if you slap a distortion pedal to it, the sound still comes through clear as day. Even for a solid body, the guitar can be likened to the sound of a piano when picking arpeggios.

As I said earlier, I play just about anything I like. This guitar can handle everything I can dish out and more. I've been studying music for over 6 years, and playing the guitar for about one year now. I own a Fender 150 watt amp, Line 6 PODXT Live. I also have a tiny Marshall practice amp and an Epiphone hollow-body. If this were stolen I'de call the insurance I got put on it and have it replaced. Then I'd hunt down the bastard who stole it very quietly. Then I'de have two. I love the sheer playability of it. Things I never thought I would be able to play on my little Epiphone I can easily rip through on this guitar. I compared it to a Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 (anniversary edition), and a Gibson Les Paul Standard. The PRS is lighter than the Heritage, but it gives up in tone what it takes in weight. The action was about the same with both guitars, but the sound was slightly cleaner with the Heritage. The Les Paul had no chance when compared to the instant classic of the Heritage. This guitar has everything you could possibly ask for.

I just got the guitar so I guess time will tell, but I can tell you this. The body is a solid piece of wood. The neck is a solid piece of wood. Nothing as far as the instrument itself leads to anything other than a quality instrument. Hardware will eventually give out, or become obsolete. Everything is solid on this guitar. Since I'm poor and can only afford this guitar (and it's still a stretch) I have to make due with just one guitar. Regardless, I still feel comfortable playing with just this guitar. Haven't broken any strings, and since I change them on a regular basis, I don't have any real worries of that anyways. The finish is excellent, beware of you have the old guitar stands though, the kind with the black foam. Those stands will eat right through the finish. As long as you aren't stupid (i.e. playing like The Who, or putting it on one of those stands), this guitar should last you forever.

Action is perfect. Pickups - live and set and just the right level, no hum, just sound. I got just got this guitar, and with no adjustments, it is already ready for a gig today. The factory is run by the old master smiths of Gibson who didn't want to move to Tennissee, and they know how to make a damn good guitar.

Made in Kalamazoo, MI, this guitar hold true to the tradition that Gibson began and has since moved on. This Heritage has 22 frets with mother-of-pearl inlays in a rosewood fretboard. My particular model comes with a thin '60s style profile for easy access to all frets. True laminate finish so the solid mahagony body can be seen. The look, asthetically is almost idneticle to the Gibons Les Paul, except for the head piece which differs slighly. The Heritage models also feature a slight increase in the angle of the head in order to put more pressure on the nut (makes for better tuning) Tune-O-Matic bridge, with chrome Seymour Duncan pickups. Has two knobs for each pickup with a three way selector. The folks at Heritage still use grover tuners. Mine came with a hard case.

Jimmy669
    I also own an H-150CM, and I agree with your review to the letter. Well made, genuine mother of pearl inlays, and the tone is fantastic.
    guitarsr
    I bought an H-150CM (Vintage Wineburst finish) after doing a lot of homework on Les Paul-style guitars. It came down to a Gibson 59 Custom Shop or the H-150CM. Heritage guitars are built by guys who built them when Gibson was still in Kalamazoo, in the old Kalamazoo Gibson factory, sourcing woods from the locations Gibson did back then. OK. Let's see...finish, playability, tone, build quality, action, all excellent on both. Oops - almost forgot price: $5,000 vs. $2,200. Uhhhh, let me think...I own a Gibson built in '67 and another built in '73. Both great guitars. And it would only cost me $3,000+ for the privilege of having that Gibson name on an LP headstock. I play in a bunch of styles, have a variety of acoustics and electrics, and have been playing for 37 years. I cut my teeth on Zeppelin. The Heritage is awesome, and I've never looked back. Have $3,000 to throw away? Then buy a Gibson. Otherwise, buy the Heritage. Or buy 2, and use the $1k leftover to buy another amp!