HEG-1200 Cool Fire review by Highland Guitars

Highland Guitars: HEG-1200 Cool Fire

Purchased from: GearGottaGo

I play anything from classic 70's/80's rock to Christian Worship tunes on Sunday, and this rig does it all with style. I work through a Line6 Floor Pod Plus and a Randall G2 series amp with Laney 4x12 cab, and with this setup, anything is possible. No noise, no scratchy pots, no "out of tune" moments, just solid rich tones.

I have been playing for 15 years, own a Hamer USA, a Hagstrom Vintage Swede, and this little beauty can easily keep up. It is familiar, and at the same very unique, from the headstock shape to the nice tribal cross fret markers. If it was stolen I would get another for sure.

Play live with it at least once a week with no worries. Rig is solid and built to last. That said, I never play without a backup, that would just be stupid. Finish seems tough enough, but satin never stands up as long as a gloss, simply due to the lack of clear coats, but it is flamed maple underneath, so I actually look forward to the day it starts to show through.

Right out of the box, setup was perfect. I like my neck pickups a bit higher, but, 10 seconds with a screwdriver fixes that. Finish is great, frets are flawless, no burrs or edges at all. The action is low, with no fret buzz at all. Intonation was perfect. The double cutaway and set neck allow great access with smooth feel.

This is a 2009 build out of China and distributed out of Canada. 22 medium frets with a 23-3/4 scale, indian rosewood with a 14" radius. Solid arched maple top. Body is solid chambered mahogany, neck is mahogany 1 pc jointed at 17th Fret, Set-in,"C" Contour .87"(22mm) at 3rd Fret. Finish is Satin Polyurethane Lacquer, which is flawless, and looks great over the engraved flames on the top. Body style and size is similar to a melody maker, but with double cutouts. Nice antiqued binding on body, neck, and headstock. Just a bit smaller than my Les Paul. Tune-O-Matic bridge with hard tailpiece. Controls are simple 1 volume 1 tone, and a solid 3 way switch. 2 Alnico-V humbuckers, that sound great right out of the crate. Tuners are black grovers, all hardware is black on this model. Comes with beautiful fitted HSC.

EpiExplorer
    Reminds me of a BC Rich Dagger. Quite pretty but also quite standard. Basically a much more flashy Les Paul..
    McMatt891
    I own the prototype of this model and from what I have experienced, this is a great guitar in comparison to others in the price range. I still prefer my Gibson, but I like this one.