Verythin CT review by Hofner

Hofner: Verythin CT

Purchased from: pmt music store

This semi-acoustic guitar was made in 2010 in China. Unlike most makes with factories in China, Hofner actually own their factory. Hofner are renowned for making all their guitars by hand, so in order to keep this going on they sent skilled craftsmen to the factory in China to teach the workers how to expertly make their guitars. The guitar has 22 frets and the neck is rosewood, while the body is maple. The top is laminated and the finish is transparent (which looks outstanding). However this is specific to my guitar (transparent red). There are 2 volume and 2 tone controls, as expected on a guitar with 2 humbucker pickups. With this guitar, I received a brown hard case, which is durable and looks fantastic.

To be honest, this guitar suits my playing style perfectly. I am a big fan of The Beatles and music of that era, and the Hofner Verythin was very popular at that time. The clean tone is very rich and warm and is perfect for Beatle-esque songs. The strings the guitar came with were great because they were so versatile - good for rhythm, solo, clean, dirty and so on. However, I play a lot of rhythm guitar with the odd solo, so I replaced the strings with jazz strings, which are ideal. I am still at school, so I don't have my own rig for gigging-but I have a Vox 40 watt Valvetronix which is fantastic. I don't have any pedals because the amp has all the effects I need. The pickups all sound great with all the effects, but I particularly enjoy playing with; overdrive with the bridge pickup; clean rhythm with the neck pickup-also there is an effect on the amp called US blues which sounds fantastic with this guitar. The guitar is also very versatile - it's mostly used for clean rhythm guitar in rock and roll songs, but it also sounds great with distortion/overdrive and soloing (especially with the original strings).

Like I said, the guitars are hand crafted in China. I'm not sure what difference this makes (I'm sure it makes some) but it's nice to know it was made by hand, not machine. Ever since I've had this guitar, I have only had one minor problem. When I first got the the jazz strings, the low E sting kept fuzzing because I screw was loose in one of the humbuckers, but I soon fixed this, and I'm not sure if it was my fault or the guitars. But apart from that, including performance and looks, there were no problems whatsoever.

I have played this guitar live quite a few times and its been great. It is great that it comes with a hard case which is great for gigging because it is so durable. I have had this guitar for 4 years and there are no durability issues with it. One of the metal plates on the volume control has fallen off, but it is still in mint condition. I would definitely use it at a gig without a backup because there are no faults and the technicalities are all in full working order. I have knocked it a few times around the house, and no marks have been left on it - the finish has no scratches either.

I play all types of music and because this guitar is so versatile, it is great for everything. I have been playing for 5 years and I own the amp, 2 leads and 3 other guitars; 2 acoustic, one electric (Squire Strat) and a few other guitar related pieces of equipment. If this guitar was stolen, I would consider buying it again; I might also look at a Hofner club guitar or a Gretsch Pro Jet. I love everything about it, but my favourite feature is the volume without the amp - I love picking up this guitar and playing it acoustically because of the beautiful rich clean sound. I chose this guitar as I was getting into The Beatles, so I looked at Hofner first and loved the design of the Verythin. However I did look at the Epiphone Les Paul, but decided on the Hofner. The one thing I wish the guitar had was a Bigsby, which I love. But Hofner do sell Verythins with Bigsby, so if you wanted to buy one you could get that option. Overall, I absolutely love this guitar; the design, the finish, the sound, the performance; everything is amazing and well worth the price.