L59 review by Hohner

Hohner: L59

Purchased from: ebay

It sounds brilliant through my Vox AC15VR. It sustains very well with a lovely smooth sound through the neck pickup and the bridge pickup is brilliant for leads. I mainly play classic rock and this suits this genre great, it suits Free and Bad Company very well, it has a very good clean sound and the overdrive is brilliant. Their isn't much else to say, I can't really find a major problem with it.

Overall this guitar is brilliant, if you get the chance to buy one for the money I did get it. If it got stolen I would find the person who stole it and beat them up. I compared it to Epiphones and other big names but this, in my opinion, is in a league of its own, the build quality and sound is just so much better it could easily go up against the Epiphone Les Paul Standards and other makes. I'll be playing it at my next gig, definitely.

I haven't gigged with this one yet so I don't know how it will cope live, but I do feel it will be alright. The hardware will last, at the moment everything is original. I could depend on it but I would still take a backup because the selector switch seems a bit week and the finish is very good, it has a big thick finish on it and their isn't any chips or cracks on it and it looks like it would be hard to damage it.

The action is good but it could be a bit lower and the finish is great the top is book matched extremely well and the paint over the top was applied very well. The pickups were in very well but the neck pickup was very low down. The bridge and the nut are well put in and routed well. The electrics don't make any noise while being used through the amp but the pots are poor some are alright but others are to stiff, it could be a easy fix but I'll wait and see until I have the money to replace them.

I think it was made in 1989, but I'm not sure, in Korea I think. I'm not sure what wood it is but it is definitely solid with a solid top. It has a one piece mahogany back with grain going across it. The hardware is gold but over the years has worn of. It has the standard Les Paul set up with tune-o-matic bridge and two very good humbuckers. It has the standard two volume and two and three way toggle switch. It has a solid wood neck and it is a big fat neck. The guitar has real binding around the neck and body and because of the age it has gone a lovely cream colour to go with the tobacco sunburst.

Shoegazest
    Interest is building in these fantastic vintage guitars. I bought my first L59 back in ~1997 (purple burst) and it was in a league of it's own for the price back then. I've looked after it over the years but the input jack had started to crackle so I recently took it into a family-owned guitar shop in the area. The guy in the shop was clearly impressed and said that "it pisses all over any Epiphone and even some recent Gibsons" he had seen. I have to say I agree. One of the things that you notice out about these guitars is the weight - they are heavy! That will put some people off but personally I like an LP to be heavy, I think it adds to the tone and the feel. I don't like these contemporary weight-relieved guitars, they feel cheap and toy-like to me. £200 is a great price for one of these guitars in decent condition IMO. Definitely an awesome guitar for that price. Note that Hohner stopped making these at the tail end of the 90s so any that you can find will be minimum 15 years old. They really don't make em like this any more.