L90 Goldtop review by Hohner

Hohner: L90 Goldtop

Purchased from: Cash Converters

It has a warm tone to it when in distortion and a soft, light tone when clean. I like to play emo/punk music so this guitar has what is asked of it. I love the plain clean sound of the pickups it produces for my fingerpicking work and the distorted groans and shouts that it is capable of giving out is just right for the dark emotional backgrounds of the music I play. I normally put his through a 300W Marshall Valvestate amp and its pure bliss. The pickup settings allow you when switched to bridge give a great screaming solo type tone, middle is a standard all round setting and top is pretty good for thrash and palm muting.

For what I play, emo/punk style music, it suits me ideally. I have been playing for three years now and I have also got a Fender Stratocaster which has huge competition, but I have had the LP copy four months and I love it. I would definitely recommend this to any budding guitarist.

This guitar is pretty reliable, it doesn't need tuning all the time as it has a steady and long lasting in tune time. Its strap buttons are solid not loose one bit, strings do not easily come off it or break off this model. I have used it for several gigs and has lasted a good time all throughout all of them. I will never have to take a backup as I can depend on this more than anything else.

The machineheads were a little loose de-tuning the guitar a little over an extended amount of time but aren't too bad. The bridge/saddle is little loose also which isn't exactly a good thing to have but still does its job otherwise this guitar is clean all round on this subject.

Made in 1992 in England, 24 standard frets on maple with a solid and laminated top body is made of maple also. Burntwood finish single cutaway Les Paul Copy by Rockwood/Hohner. It has a Tune-O-Matic style bridge in gold finish. 2 Volume, 2 tone controls - passive electronics, Hohner's own double humbucker pickups. Hohner machineheads.

Magic_Bryan
    Ah, think this may be the same model old guitar my missus has got - although that one is a Black Beauty copy and although it's physically rather heavy is actually pretty sturdy with a reasonable tone, and has kept its action nicely over the years - bomb proof bit of kit.
    Necrolysis
    i love how everyone mentions problems with some guitar that are potentially devestating to a gig, and yet they claim "I will never have to take a backup as I can depend on this more than anything else.."