HDFJ Florentine Jazz Review

manufacturer: Hudson date: 09/23/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Hudson: HDFJ Florentine Jazz
A very nice looking and sounding jazz guitar. I love the sound and the brightness of it. Very gentle and sweet tone.
 7.9
 7.8
 1,754
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
HDFJ Florentine Jazz Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 23, 2013

Price paid: € 289

Purchased from: Rock Palace

Features: Made in China. Possibly made a few year ago. Because Hudson is a young brand. I think the body is made of maple considering the fact that its a hollow body guitar. A neck with dots. Consist of two humbuckers, a three way toggle system, two volume buttons and two sound buttons. Very nice looking guitar, looking like a Framus, very big like a classical jazz guitar. Very big indeed. Very beautiful orange jazz guitar. Very satisfying especially considering the price paid of 289 euros. No case included. // 8

Sound: I have a very different preference of music. So when I am searching for the brightness of a Jazz guitar of a blues guitar it certainly is suitable. For other purposes I use my other guitars as is listed below. Possibly even a 8, 5 for its variety of sounds, especially the bright and sweet tone. Its sound is good also compared to a Epi Dot maybe even better. Shame so much attention is given to big brands on sights as Harmony central or other sides that are just there to help brands consolidate their interests. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is not two high as is good for a starters guitar. I don't know what was done about it to make it sound well. But in my opinion it doesn't need adjustments. The pickups are very bright, sounding and clear. The guitar is well finished, only the pickups should have been deeper inside the body. The hardware is good and solid. Overall the action, fit & finish are quite satisfactory. I haven't noticed flaws on it, or other not well finished things. It's quite a solid guitar I would say. For the rest I don't know what else to say. // 7

Reliability & Durability: For live playing I would replace the knobs that are now a plastic. It's a solid good sounding guitar, good for live jazz, don't know for a big stage. The strap buttons are solid, bit could be replaced for live playing as they are of plastic they could become to hot during live play. I don't need a backup for it if I were on stage playing with it. Only weak point here is the fact that the pickups should have been put in bit further. I think it will last for a long time despite the intense and often playing of me. // 8

Overall Impression: A very nice looking and sounding jazz guitar. If it were stolen I would probably buy it again. I have bought it very fast as it was my first guitar, but I have no regrets. I also own a Richwood Re-125 with DiMarzio Humbuckers DP103 PAF Vintage and a Gretsch 5105 Electromatic and a Washburn HD10 acoustic guitar. I love the sound and the brightness of it. Very gentle and sweet tone. I only wished it had covered pickups. Overall I am very satisfied with it. Really don't understand all the negative responses about Chinese guitars. Just try a guitar before buying. Notice the sound, feel the hardware and that's it. // 8

Comments