Mockingdroid review by Hufschmid

Hufschmid: Mockingdroid

Price paid: € 2900

Purchased from: Patrick Hufschmid

I wanted my 7 string to be a simple and yet versatile instrument which I can play all kind of music with. This time I asked a highgain wild monster! I kept the OTT model in Bridge position, and asked a Custom Rocker-on-steroids in neck position. Both pickups have similar (HIGH!) output level, the sound is clear, defined, huge, perfect for my tastes in distorted tones, but don't underrate Kent Armstrong, those pickups are also able to produce crystal-like clean tones as well as blues' warm crunches. And forget all luthery myths about bodies' thickness, mahogany, set-in necks warm and fat sound and sustain, this guitar has a 35mm thin mahogany body, a bolt-on mahogany neck and by far the most incredible sustain and the tightest/clearest sound I heard for an electric guitar.

I am extremely proud of this guitar, it was the one I needed to complete my H7, since I have them both, I don't need any other instrument anymore (but don't confuse "need" and "desire"!). I play for ten years and own 8 guitars including ESP, Ibanez prestige etc, but those axes are on the top in terms of sound quality, construction, finish... It's another category. Once again, it took one month to Patrick to build this one, with pictures of the progress everyday, I have seriously never seen such communication between a builder and his customer, Pat is clearly a master!

My two Hufschmid are the only guitars I'm entirely confident in terms of solidity and durability. Since the day I got it I never broke a string, never had to set anything, and it stays in tune for hours, litterraly! Reliable, is an euphemism, those axes are solid as a rock! I have played several live shows with them and natural aesthetic evolutions apart, nothing moved... My mate, first Wedingoth's guitarist, could tell you about that since I have to set his guitars after almost each show.

I couldn't imagine of a better neck shape since it was made from a tracing of my left hand Patrick asked in the beginning of the building process. It's rounder on the lower frets and flattens progressively to the upper frets. Thus I can riff so long without a cramp and shred effortless on the same instrument. Effortless is the most appropriate word when I have to describe my playing on this guitar... The action, intonation and pickups were perfectly set when I received it, nothing to say. It's also really light, I constantly play this guitar standing during hours, and I never suffered from my back, legs, arms or neck after that. Added to that, the Bridge is the most comfortable I ever tried, it would never hurt your hand, and as a guitar teacher, I have to play 6 hours a day sometimes, so comfort is a primordial point on an instrument for me.

6 string, 25.5" scale, tuned C G C F A D (11-58 gauges). One piece mastergrade quartersawn sapele neck and body (bolt-on construction), highly figured western quilt maple top with a special home-made taint. West African ebony fretboard, 24 Xjumbo frets, compound radius (12" to 16"). Planet Waves locking tuners that cut your string automatically, hipshot fixed bridge, two Custom humbuckers made by Kent Armstrong and designed by Patrick himself, controlled by a volume, a tone, a 3-way Switch and a killswitch (upper horn). As all Hufschmid guitars, the body is beautifully beveled on the back, plus a armrest bevel on the top, and in my case it also includes the mockingbird's classic bevels. The result is a mockingbird revisited in Patrick's way. Words couldn't describe how much I love this gorgeous axe.

DimebagZappa
    I agree fully. A little too coincidental.
    Gorian_Z
    Gorian_Z
    No problem dude, I just tried to explain my approach no offense at all! I am happy if there is no misunderstanding anymore
    GS LEAD 5
    Gorian_Z wrote: OK, seems like some explanations are needed here First of all, I appear as unregistered in this one because I forgot to log before posting... Then I copied The 'Action, Fit & Finish' section, indeed, and for the simple reason I play those 2 guitars everyday and they feel the same in my hands so I had nothing more to say about it. To take the example of Ibanez I read on this page (BTW thanks to 8stringlover and Ravefaust ), imagine you owned a RG and a S with the same Wizard II neck. If you review them both, won't you have the same words about the neck? Then, as said before, ultimate-guitar si a very popular community, and I often visit the website to check tabs, interview, reviews etc... This time I only decided to review my instruments, which doesn't mean I wanted to be "active" in the forums... I guess ultimate-guitar is visited by countless unregistered people everyday. Then I want to mention a point 8stringlover underlined : people reviewing their Gibson, Ibanez, ESP, whatever, don't do that to advertise those world famous big brands that obviously doesn't need you to say their instruments are good to exist... They do that for other people to be informed for enventual later acquisition. I am talking about a little artisan making 10 guitars a year, I made these reviews to inform people Hufschmid Guitars actually EXIST! Patrick works in a 5 square meter room with poor tools and still tries to live from his passion by making stunning instruments, I think I am right with helping him to be reknown. I am not telling people "go and buy one", I write about my good experience with those two axes and the guy himself as I could meet him twice. How many people here knew about Hufschmid Guitars before Doug and Reynald and myself reviewed them? Come on dudes, it would be advertising if we were writing "my rga7 is the best guitar ever, if you want a 7 string you have to buy this one, Ibanez, best guitars in the world" (as some people who are actually paid for that), here we just allow people to hear about Patrick's work, and he clearly deserve those little attentions, as a great luthier, and as our friend. You can also check reviews I posted on Guitarjar and musicgearreviews, the words are identical, and yet wrote by me : http://www.musicgearreview.com/reviews.p... %20Guitars&cat=Electric_Guitars&mod=Mockingdroid http://w ww.musicgearreview.com/reviews.php?man=Hufschmid%20Guitars&c at=Electric_Guitars&mod=H7 http://www.musicgearreview.com/reviews.p... r-reviews/hufschmid-guitars-h7-pure-rust-review/ http://w ww.guitarjar.co.uk/user-reviews/hufschmid-guitars-mockingdro id-review/ And don't forget we also contribute in ultimate-guitar's already great diversity as now Hufschmid Guitars appeared in the brands' page... Cheers Julien (from Wedingoth, indeed, check us on facebook if you want to see those guitars in action, thus you may be conforted about my identity )
    Hey, I never meant any offense sorry if I did! Either way, I dont think it's an ad after seeing this.
    8stringlover
    And once again: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/e... itars/hufschmid/h7_pure_rust/index.html
    8stringlover
    I think I understand where the misunderstanding is comming from since some people cant read properly... The review was written by Julien Lamarre alias Gorian_Z who is the guitar player of the french band Wedingoth. And "some people" are accusing shill because his name does not appear on the top of this review. Question, how can you submit a review on ultimate guitar if you are not registered? This is a mistake from ultimate guitar, they simply forgot to add his forum member's name when publishing the review...
    stoltobot
    AngryGoldfish wrote: I have spoken to Patrick Hufschmid on many occasions and trust him, and also his abilities as an artisan and luthier. Do not start spreading rumours or speculate on the legitimacy of this review, the owner of the guitar, or the builder. It just isn't fair on anyone, and is only here-say. And don't give me the, "well, it's a free website" bullshit. If you bad mouth a company without having facts then your comments will be deleted and I will send a warning to your account. If Patrick asked his customers to talk about his guitars on the web, then let him. If he didn't and the customer did it out of their own accord, then fine. If you want to critique his reviewing capabilities, then that is fine. But do it properly, and without bullshitting anyone.
    Having a healthy dose of skepticism does not equal bad-mouthing a company. No matter how good of a luthier/tailor/baker/chef somebody is, it isn't right for them to shill reviews of their own products. To raise this possibility and discuss it is reasonable. To straight out accuse someone of being a shill is hearsay. I see no outright accusations on this page. BTW I want to try one of his guitars!
    DJ_Effrey
    I have never seen any guitars that look as stunning as Hufschmids. They're just beautiful.
    AngryGoldfish
    8stringlover
    GS LEAD 5 wrote: 8stringlover wrote: GS LEAD 5 wrote: For some reason. after the H7 review, I am beginning to get a sneaking suspicion this is advertising. You may want to check out the H7 review, it is said: "I wrote a lot, so in conclusion you may have understood this guitar is by far the best I owned. I have 8 guitars and since I got this one (and my Hufschmid H6 which I'm going to discuss in another review)" I dont see why a happy Hufschmid customer could not post 2 reviews of his two instrument knowing that both instruments are totally different, one is a sevenstring, the other a 6 string and both have completely different features... Is it also perceived as advertising if somebody would like to post 2 reviews of his two Ibanez 6 and 7 string guitars? The fact that the person in question is "unregistered" raises questions. If I am wrong, I apologize. But I doubt a random visitor to the site is going to take the trouble to write a detailed review if he isnt going to register and be active in the forums. In my honest opinion, it stinks of advertising.
    Oh there we go FYI ultimate guitar is very popular for its reviews and the review section is open to anybody who registers and there is nothing specified in the rules about having to be an active forum member in order to post a review in here... Than after submission you have to wait 48 hours so that your review gets approved. (I know because I've posted a review with permission of the owner of the HufPaull a while back) Also FYI Hufschmid does ask to his customers to contribue to spread the word about his work by posting a review on internet which is something that many many little makers do. There are also many people who try and score free gear from little makers in order to post reviews all over the net. And all of a sudden because a happy customer posts two reviews about instruments which he purshased from a small maker IYO it stinks of advertising? Man, in which world do we live, serioussly....
    theknuckster wrote: The 'Action, Fit & Finish' section has been copied from the H7 review, word for word I do believe (only missing a couple of sentences at the end).
    Since the builder uses the same techniques in order to build the necks of the instruments, what would you like the happy customer to add? Some more mystic or re arrange the entire text so that basically it does not look the same but that the meaning is exactly identical?
    Ravenfaust
    [quote= 8stringlover] You may want to check out the H7 review, it is said: "I wrote a lot, so in conclusion you may have understood this guitar is by far the best I owned. I have 8 guitars and since I got this one (and my Hufschmid H6 which I'm going to discuss in another review)" I dont see why a happy Hufschmid customer could not post 2 reviews of his two instrument knowing that both instruments are totally different, one is a sevenstring, the other a 6 string and both have completely different features... Is it also perceived as advertising if somebody would like to post 2 reviews of his two Ibanez 6 and 7 string guitars?[/quote] /discussion
    theknuckster
    Metal_Mesh
    I don't think so, but it really doesn't matter. It is a $ 4000-guitar and the company is obvious still running, so the guitars they make are most probably good. Also, they make custom-guitar from the customers specs and if the customer didn't found the guitar anything else but awesome it would be a total waste of money.
    14xjake
    this is one of the few reviews i have seen that has good reason to give almost all tens! great review!
    iamjinkazama
    yeah, sometimes, there are happy costumers, so what. i drooled over the "I couldn't imagine of a better neck shape since it was made from a tracing of my left hand Patrick asked in the beginning of the building process" line. shit, i never thought of that, a neck just entirely made for you. must be heaven to play on that. i just became a fan of hufschmid.
    8stringlover
    You may want to check out the H7 review, it is said: "I wrote a lot, so in conclusion you may have understood this guitar is by far the best I owned. I have 8 guitars and since I got this one (and my Hufschmid H6 which I'm going to discuss in another review) " I dont see why a happy Hufschmid customer could not post 2 reviews of his two instrument knowing that both instruments are totally different, one is a sevenstring, the other a 6 string and both have completely different features... Is it also perceived as advertising if somebody would like to post 2 reviews of his two Ibanez 6 and 7 string guitars?
    GRAH
    I would not hesitate to purchase another Hufschmid guitar. If you have never played or owned one then you have no business talking about them.....