AFS75T review by Ibanez

Ibanez: AFS75T

Purchased from: eBay

Just got this box very recently and I haven't given it a real workout yet. But it seems to put out a decent standard jazz sound (my repetoire) and will be taken on gigs as a backup to my 20+ year old main box, an Ibanez Benson. I'm putting it directly into a Peavey XRD-680S head with 2 SP-5XT speakers. The only effect I use is about a 1/3 mix medium-room reverb. The pickups don't seem as bright or hot as my Benson or my other Ibanez (an electric baritone).

I've been playing about 45 years, first '50s-'60s rock (Ventures/Johnny & The Hurricanes type stuff) and then evolving into jazz. This AFS75T will fill my need for an inexpensive back-up jazz box with a tremolo, providing I get the staying-in-tune issue under control. I have too many other instruments to list here but nothing real pricey. If this one walked, I'd probably get another. No real strong feelings though so far positively or negatively other than it seems a very good value for the $.

I have no crystal ball to forsee the lifespan of this inexpensive instrument but, if I get 5 or 6 good years out of it, I'm happy. My other Ibanezes have held up very well so that's saying something. And everything looks solid on this one. I'l give it a top rating in this category based on that.

No noticeable flaws and the set-up is fairly good though I'm picky and I'm about to redo the entire intonation, etc. Right now, the trem is putting the strings out of tune pretty quickly but that may be a matter of the strings being new. My biggest gripe here though is that the trem bar action is not comfortable. Specifically, it does not rotate far enough counterclockwise so I can hold it easily with my hand over the strings.

Ditto just about everything the other AFS75T owners have said. No need to repeat the basics here. No knock-your-socks-off bells and whistles but better than average features for this price, that's saying it.