AG95 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: AG95

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

The pickups were really the only weak part of this guitar straight out of the box. They were sterile and had little personality, so I replaced them, but we're here to talk about the guitar. The fully hollow body makes for some wonderful lively tone. Very sweet and full. You do have to watch out though, this thing is a feedback monster. But to let you know what I do with this thing... I play a lot of rock and metal, but have been inspired by this fine piece of equipment to play blues and some more subtle styles.

Overall I love this thing. I mean, I payed very little for this thing at got an instrument that, in my humble opinion, beats many $1000+ guitars for playability and looks. Try any of the artcore's they're all wonderful to play and hear. I looked at a bunch of other guitars trying to find one that was in the same price range with the same level of quality and found none that were less than $1500.

Not sure how this thing will hold up, haven't gigged with it. I try not to be hard on instruments though. I'll be honest, I'm a little leery of gigging with a hollowbody (it's like playing an acoustic all the time, big and everywhere), but I've had a few other $500 Ibanez guitars and they held up just fine at gigs.

I bought this thing looking for a good, lower priced instrument and got what I payed for and more. This guitar is beautiful, first off. Yes, it has some very minor cosmetic flaws, but I only payed 500 bucks for it, what did you expect? Neck plays like a dream for my tastes. Thin enough to run up the neck pretty quick, but has enough mass to grab onto and dig in to a bend. The frets haven't been adjusted on this thing at all since I've had it, they're pretty level to my eyes. At least I've found not dead spots on the neck. The g string slot in the nut is a little deep, but nothing major.

2008 model, made in Korea if I'm not mistaken. 22 medium frets on a nice soft c/u shaped neck. Body is bubinga (at least, that's what they say, it is a $500 guitar after all lol), neck is mahogany I believe. Came with two very low output humbuckers. 2 volumes, 2 tones, arch top bridge (not attached to the guitar, held on my string tension). Okay, that's enough, you get the idea on what this thing is.

Tommy Walker
    SocialismCross wrote: i'm sick of ibanez and PRS copying gibsons. look at the freakin pickguard, it's just the same, it's just a les paul with f holes.
    Well a les paul is just a more round tele with humbuckers.
    wafl
    rckin2fame55 wrote: noobiepro1996 wrote: AceDauntless wrote: The g string slot in the nut is a little deep I lol'd HAHA be evan funnier if it said the G string on the slut is a little small...LOLOLOL ROTFLMAO that wasnt neccesary
    oh yes it was
    phat104u
    If it's possible to pop a Bigsby on there, I'll almost be sold - would have to play that particular model first, as everyone should.
    properpat
    Complaining dear boy? No, simply educating those out there who might not have found out the hard way by standing in front of an amp larger than a 5 watter.
    D. McCarthy
    I just wanted to say, I've got a friend with an old Spanish arch top that predates the Les Paul. It also has an extremely similar pick guard. So should I be complaining to companies like Gibson for copying them? No. Get over it. I think the Ibanez AG95 looks marvelous, I actually prefer the style of this guitar over Les Pauls.
    kyle.christense
    Learn your history, brother... Les Paul made his first Les Paul in the Epiphone factory in the late fourties. If anything this is a knock off of an EP Emperor. A Les Paul with fholes isn't a Les Paul anymore. A Les Paul is a heavy body solid guitar with a different pick up profile.
    Ali-b912
    I'd rather a PRS then a Gibson. PRS are more value for money IMO.
    infidelappel
    I've had this guitar for about a year now. I fell in love with its looks, sound, and playability and have no real complaints with it. The feedback can be terribly annoying if you really want to rock out, but if you're sticking with clean tones there really aren't any issues. I have used it to play some pretty loud rock sounds as well, but found that I needed to position myself very carefully to avoid feedback. I'll be picking up a pair of Gibson burstbuckers this weekend and dropping them in to improve the tone. I'm hoping it will really put the sound over the top, as this is my first real guitar (I had a fairly cheap acoustic before hand) and I'd love to be able to keep it forever and continue to play it. After I've given it the upgrade, I'll let everyone know my impressions... Of course, I do want to ask...has anyone else gotten burstbuckers for their guitar(s)? Are you pleased with the results? $300 is a pretty hefty upgrade on a $500 guitar, and I'm curious to see if it's really worth it....
    Teh Skisgaars
    One difference ibanez and prs are the most beautiful guitars you can get gibson is good but nothing compared to prs especially
    SocialismCross
    you people keep fogetting that when you buy a gibson, you pay for the name and a time approaches to a CENTURY of history. Yes they are sometimes unreasonablely expensive. But that's if you're just a slash or iommi wannabe.
    rckin2fame55
    CanCan
    Wait, you're complaining because a hollow body feedbacks on rock and *gasp* metal gain levels?
    Mr_Cheese113
    AceDauntless wrote: The g string slot in the nut is a little deep I lol'd
    Haha, I mean, really
    Dexisuey
    This is the type of guitar I been looking for reliable,affordable and looks good.
    Elizzy
    I've been looking into a new guitar. what the hell i'll give it a go. Sounds like the kind of guitar i could get into.
    6cradle6of6filt
    Yes because all it is, is a les paul.... :L
    moro_sky
    The body is about twice the size of a Les Paul, and it's hollowbody. Just because it has a single cutaway doesn't mean it's a Les Paul. Also i'd love to see you get a brand new gibson guitar as good as this guitar for $500.
    kyle.christense