AGR73T review by Ibanez

Ibanez: AGR73T

Purchased from: Tom Lee (Hong Kong)

I use it to play mostly jazz, blues, rock stuff and sometimes fingerstyle on it. Sounds really nice and rich in 0.11-0.49 (not factory setting though)! Be cautious not to play too hard on this instrument, will give annoying buzzing sounds especially in fingerstyle (I guess archtops are more prone to buzzings at this)! If you are looking for a guitar that sounds great from jazz to rock, while allowing you to practice in situations where volume is an issue, this is the one for you. I wanna say this guitar is versatile but if you play in drop tunings you better watch out, lighter tension will probably fail to hold a string in place at that cursed floating roller bridge. I do not recommend using the tremolo system on this instrument, it really helps detuning pretty fast.

I have been playing guitar for 5 years and this is my first electric guitar (full hollow). Before this I just play acoustic guitar and used my friend's Gibson Les Paul Custom, which doesn't give me the tone what I wanted. I love the tone, love the look, but hate the tunning issues with this guitar, I do not know if guitars with tailpieces are all like this. If changing strings, be sure you change them one by one, unless you want to fight with the floating roller bridge. Stolen? I will buy another one, no doubt.

Played live few times with this guitar and didn't fail me, probably I only play it gently, mostly chords, sometimes solo, sometimes fingerstyle. Special attention should be given to the tunning issues. I do not bring a backup at all times. The finish is good and exceeded my expectation for this price, have been using the golden tremolo arm for quite sometime and the edges started to wear off, now stopped using it for sake of protection plus tunning issues. Perhaps too early to tell, I just have this guitar for more than a year.

I got mine out of the box in perfect condition but I got string buzzing problems after playing for half a year, which I guess has sth to do with climate changes and now looking for a setup. Other than that I cannot find anything to complain about this guitar (for this price). The cheap gold on this guitar oxidizes quickly and needs wiping (I use micro fibre cloth) once in a while and I usually store it in the case. Neck is moderately fast with action that fits me, however it would be nice if they make a double cutaway version for even easier access to higher register.

Purchased in 2011, produced in China, this 22 frets FULL hollow body guitar comes with two mini humbucker pickups, transparent pickguard, gold parts, Vintage Tremolo (bigsby licensed), neck with block inlay, twinkle white body, single cutaway with 3 way selector and 4 adjustment knobs, mahogany neck and maple for top, back and sides. It has a 'fancy' look to some but it does not fail those who are looking for a broad Spectrum of sounds from jazz to rock (not for metal though). It looks like the Gretsch White Falcon but the body is much thinner(and much cheaper).

Battery Chicken
    I love and hate hollow bodies. They look freaking gorgeous, but I always feel like "white lightning" playing one. I seriously think you need to a big grizzled old dude to pull one off. Maybe when I'm 50 and starting to grey I'll get one.