Apex2 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: Apex2

Price paid: € 685

Purchased from: muziker.sk

One word. Fantastic. This is the second best sounding guitar that I have ever had, in my life. Number one was a Parker, and this Ibby just nudged a 2003 Malmsteen Strat out of the number 2 spot. You would never guess at this guitars origins by the sounds and versatility it has, no offense Munky. In fact now would be a good time to thank you. This is really the perfect guitar for me, with some tweaking. It can be warm, hot, cool or blue. I am very impressed. Sound will be even better, hopefully, after the wiring is done properly. Thanks to the reviewer below. I opened her up and found the same mess, though mine sounds ok. No noises or strangeness, in fact it is dead quite and totally hiss-less. You can see bare wire twisted together with some tape on it, but then they took the time to put a nice plastic twist-tie to hold the wires in place. I think that Ibanez has the process down, but needs to turn the screws to their new vendors a bit.

Well, I really am elated with this guitar. I have been playing since the '70s and my first electric guitar was an Ibanez. The Les Paul 'law suit' model. I just gave that one away a few years ago to my cousin. Oddly enough this is my second Ibanez in 30+ years and I have no idea why. I know for a long time it was because you couldn't find an Ibanez without a locking trem on it anywhere. That's not my gig, so I guess I just stopped looking. I'll tell you what, if they have more guitars like this, even with the assembly issues, I will be purchasing more. I have a feeling that this is one of those rare finds though. I could be wrong. I have made many wrong gear purchases over the last 3 decades. This certainly isn't one of them. This guitar didn't get chosen because Munky plays one, or someone I know has one or I wanted to jump on the 7 string band wagon, albeit a decade late. This guitar chose me. Those are usually the ones that work out.

I can't really rate this either, but seeing as though I practically took this thing a part and put it back together, I know it pretty well. I don't see anything coming apart now, unless the wood wasn't cured properly or the adhesives are not up to par. Other than the wiring, the tuners are it's only weak spot and those will be the only thing to be replaced on this guitar. And that is whenever they start to give out. On the plus side, I noticed a full size pot for the volume and it feels fantastic when using it. Even that exudes quality.

The guitar itself just screams quality. The way it sounds to the way it feels, now. When I got it home, every screw less the neck bolts were loose. Every one. It was almost a kit guitar. Nut wasn't cut very well and the rosewood just drank lemon oil. Every note rings clear but one. The first string on the first fret farts out. That is the only dead spot. I will take care of that though. All frets are polished very well. That being said, it did get molested in Guitar Center for the better part of a year, so other than the screwy wiring, I can't really say it was from the assemblers. This guitar also took the second longest of any I had ever brought home to get it to my standards. A good 3 hours. A $189 Kramer I bought for my daughter took an entire afternoon. Had I paid the full seven Bennies for this I would be much more tiffed. But seeing as though Ibanez basically paid me almost $90/hr to work on my own guitar, not so tiffed. But I am a Mfg Engineer to pay the bills and can tell where production takes precedence over quality. And as I said earlier, the guitar itself is worth the $700, Ibanez is making it's money on where it is assembled. But you will notice that if you choose to buy one. Look at the 7321. That's' $360. A couple of DiMarzios and the Tone Pros and you can add an easy $200. Making the 7321 almost $600. Don't forget Munky's cut. I would probably still buy one at $700, but I would make the store I got it from go over it.

24 jumbo fret 25.5" scale 5 pc bolt on Wizard ll neck. 2 DiMarzio PAF 7 humbuckers, 3-way blade, volume pot, no fret markers on rosewood board, flat green mahogany body, Tone-Pros locking string-thru bridge. Ibanez turners. Pretty much exactly what I would want in a custom guitar except I would get an ebony board, stainless frets and toss the Standard tuners. Really top quality wood and components (less the tuners), unfortunately the Indonesian assemblers can use more training. I got this git on clearance from Guitar Center. Nobody wanted it so they marked it down to $440. I snatched it up. It is easily worth that and more. Like I said, feature wise it is perfect for me, some might miss the tone pot or other do-dads. Einstein said things should be as simple as possible, but no simpler. I think this guitar fit's that description perfectly. And fortunately for me, that's how I like it.

Sir Garfield
    I wish they would have introduced the fixed bridge/string-thru design earlier... Now the only thing that keeps me from replacing my K-7 with the Apex2 is the 12th fret inlay of the Apex. I mean, come on, that looks just like the LTD EC-1000 inlays... Otherwise a great guitar!
    MUSICFIEND21
    thanks for some1 finally reviewing this guitar. but man this guy got a jacked up one my friend has one and its amazing. and the pickups r pretty cool. and the volume knob also works like a tone knob 2. kind of werid but sweet.....
    devourment008
    I love this guitar coz it sounds greate and very comfortable to play.  here is some video: