AR325 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/15/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: AR325
The tone of Ibanez AR325 is full and rich in the Les Paul vein with no muddiness. The guitar is very quiet and can handle high gain and sounds great clean.
 9.3
 9.2
 9.3
 8,272
review (1) pictures (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
AR325 Reviewed by: Zhaezzy, on january 15, 2015

Purchased from: World of Music Erie PA

Features: I bought this used (new the street price is about 600$) can't find a date on it but it is probably in the last two years or so. Made in China. 22 fret medium jumbo frets on a maple set neck with rosewood fingerboard. Carved Bubinga top on solid Mahogany body. Gloss dark brown burst finish. Double cutaway Ibanez artist body style. Tune-o-matic style bridge with Ibanez quick change tailpiece. Passive humbuckers with switches for series single and parallel wiring for each. The non-locking tuners stay in tune pretty good and I think they are Ibanez house brand. No accessories I bought it used but in excellent shape. // 9

Sound: The sound suits me quite well I do a lot of old school progressive rock (Yes, Jethro Tull, Uriah Heep, Be Bop Deluxe), and it suits that style fine with the switching I can get some extra excellent tones that a lot of other similar guitars will not have. The Super 58 humbuckers are fat sounding but still retain the articulation you need. The coil switches are useful the tapped sounds are not that great but you mix them with the great sounding humbuckers you can get some great full and articulate sounds. A favorite of mine is neck humbucker in series with the bridge in parallel you get a great full sound but with a bit of crisp articulation. Overall the tone is full and rich in the Les Paul vein with no muddiness. The addition of the coil switches makes for a lot of extra tones. The guitar is very quiet and can handle high gain and sounds great clean. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this used but the setup was excellent a bit low I did bring it up a touch so I can get a bit more dynamics but the finish on the frets is the best I have had on a guitar and that includes Gibson, Rickenbacker, Fenders among others. The look and fit and finish on this overall is great and the look is great the brown burst root beer finish with the curly bubinga top. The switches seem pretty solid and the pots work well but time will tell how well they hold up. I like the heft of it and the bridge is very solidly installed. The fingerboard is fully bound along with the body. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty solid but not completely bulletproof. Not getting a case with it can make it a little less durable. But it feels substantial and i think i twill last me for quite a few years. I would not gig without a backup but this guitar seems like it would hold up for that. The biggest if factor here is that it does have a bit of neck dive so you have to watch that It can be taken care of with a wide strap. The finish is pretty durable overall but you can see that I used it a lot more already than the previous owner. // 8

Overall Impression: I play studio guitar as a hobby making my prog instrumental recordings on my Boss BR-80 Micro BR. I can cover a lot of sounds with this and it works great for the progressive rock I like. Combine that with my strat and my Gretsch I can cover a lot of sounds. If it were lost or stolen I would look for another in the artist line hoping to score a deal. I would like it to be less neck heavy and would like a master volume by the bridge for pinky swells. I like the upper register access better than what you would find on a Les Paul and it feels a lot more durable and substantial than an SG. // 9

Comments