ARC300 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: ARC300

Price paid: € 220

Purchased from: USED

I play everything from jazz to metal, so the guitar needed to be versatile. Played through Marshall full tube head and Bogner 4x12 w/ V30's. The stock pickups were ok. Silent. Yeah, that's about it. Changed them immediately. They were too muddy when played on high gain channel, lacked definition, clarity, ...

If you want a LP, but don't want to pay 1000+ for an inferior guitar, buy this one. All I changed was the PU's and the finish. Hardware is solid, no flaws on the guitar, overall well made. I think I paid about the same amount for the PU's as for the guitar itself, try finding better value for money... If it were stolen, I would definitely buy not buy it again. Do you know how long it took me to sand it? Jezus, I thought my arms were gonna fall off! All joking aside, I don't know if I would do it all over again. I'd try to find a guitar at about the same price as a Gibson LP, but you know, better. For the rookie to intermediate player, this is an awesome guitar. Look for a used model, save a lot of money. For the intermediate player that wants something special. Buy it, modify it, rock it. It stays in tune like no other, it sustains for days, is easy to play. Just change the damn pick ups.

Will this guitar withstand live playing? Well... Yeah? Duh? It's an Ibanez. I tried trashing it. I failed. Hardware is solid, strap buttons were changed to locking ones. Finish was, as I said before, very thick and resistant.

Set-up was from the previous owner, so can't really comment on that. Finish and overall quality were definitely above average. I repainted the whole guitar, and trust me, sanding off all the layers of finish was a b-tch. It was a thick finish, pretty much scratch resistant since I couldn't find a single scratch from the previous owner. I bought this guitar as a project. I wanted a Les Paul body and then make some modifications. I thought I would need to change all the hardware, PU's, ... Definitely did NOT need to change the hardware! Solid, no rust, great tuners. Since it's an Ibanez, you'd think it has a super fast, super skinny neck. Err, wrong. It's nowhere as thick as a Gibson, but it's not the usual thinness either. I really like it, it's comfortable. The edges (to the fretboard) aren't rounded off like on a Strat, but I kind of like the sharp edge. Makes it more aggressive!

Made in 06-07, don't really know. Purchased in 2010. Got a simple bag with it, decent but not exceptional. Didn't like the flamed top, it (apparently) darkened over the years... You could barely see the underlying flamed motive.

Dennis McI
    I'm a mostly a Fender guy but I always wanted a Les Paul...alas, a vintage soap bar Gold Top is never gonna happen, short of the Lotto ....then, I found the ARC300 at a going-out-of-biz sale for $275... flawless set-up, impeccable workmanship...interesting...and, Thank you, Yahweh, no heavier than any of my Teles...dropped a JB into the bridge position, set it up as a one vol/two tone rig and put a ToneStyler in for each pup...after a a fresh set of .011s, it was Stand Back, baby! 'Nuff said...I'm a very happy camper, with $ left over...sorry, Gibson.