ART100 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: ART100

Price paid: C$ 350

Purchased from: Axe Music

Has a full, clean trebly sound to both pickups, not bad for stock at the price. It is great for any kind of rock sound, from clean to lighter crunch classic to good full out metal. Lots of chunk and sustain thanks to the all mahogany build. Electronics are clean with no noise, with a good range on the tone pot.

I play older heavy metal, grunge, classic rock, blues, and some of the cooler modern stuff. This guitar fits well in all the genres. Been playing for 30 years and have had many different outfits, but stuck mainly to dual humbucker setups, with the odd tele or Strat for lighter stuff. I found over the years that the Les Pauls I mainly relied on were heavy and the necks were thick, and that there were better fits for me. When I chose this guitar, I wanted an inexpensive Ibanez that sounded like a Gibson. Mainly that I could gig with without worry and get the sound and feel I needed. I thought I was going to end up with an Epiphone or LTD, but man, I played this one and the neck was unbelievable. Sound was great for the price, then I put a pair of Seymour Duncan 59's in... I had a 72 Les Paul, all stock except for a pair of DiMarzio PAF's, that I loved and relied on, because of the sweet, sweet tone. This $350 Ibanez with a pair of 59's actually sounded a bit fuller, the same sustain, and felt better in my hand and strapped over my shouler. This guitar is perhaps the best kept secret of the guitar industry. Easily outplays guitars twice it's price, and should be the first guitar anyone buys, as all the big 'entry level' names; Squier, Epiphone, etc. have junk in the same price range.

This is a very well built and sturdy guitar. It is awesome live because it is fairly thin, making it lighter than most Les Paul guitars made of good wood. All the hardware is very good quality and so far is as durable as any, as is the finish. All far better than you would expect at this price. I have opened with this guitar and done most of the gig unless needed a sound change. Anyone gigging without a backup is unprofessional, period.

Action, Fit and Finish. Really very well set up out of the factory. Action was low and intonation set. I was frankly amazed that this was a Chinese built guitar. Workmanship and finish was top notch, and made this guitar look, feel and play like one at least twice the price.

Made in China, 2008. Non-locking Ibanez tuners, 2 volume, 1 tone, 3 way selector.

SPECS:
NeckPU:  ACH1-S
BridgePU:  ACH2-S
HW Color:  Chrome

Gates666
    white art100 is beautiful, i got that with a set of heavy strings, its totally badass.
    axemaster@yahoo
    Just bought this a couple days ago. This guitar rocks! Love it, sounds, looks and feels gorgeous. I'll be upgrading the pickups when I can afford it for sure, but this is a super playable xe. I was looking at the affordable Les Pauls but didn't like the low end LPs, decided to check out the ART100 and loved it in the store. Got axe and extended warranty plan for $289 total at guitar center. This is a fast guitar with great feel and sustain. Looking forward to the factory strings wearing in a bit.
    hazeman
    Ive had one for 3 years I love it and all my friends who played it love it. It is in the shop right now getting new pups. The stock pups are the only downfall of this guitar but for 300 bucks they served me well while I learned to play.
    nonpartisan
    Why have a 3 way switch with 2 volume controls - isn't V1up V2down the same? I'm looking and thinking use the 3-way toggle to select Seymour Duncan P-Rail modes P90/Humbucker/Rail. ONIONS: Other Novel Ideas Or New Suggestions? (I want it for its body... how shallow am i?)
    mlukeroberts222
    I've had mine for 6 months and I'm still in love with it. Put some Ernie Ball 'Not Even Slinky' strings on it and DAMN it rocks!!!!
    awifal
    I've had it for a while now and have nothing bad to say at all. Very light, great distortion and really good clean too. Also performs well and i like the metal-y les paul style
    Asnm
    How come this guit doesnt have any fret inlays(except at 12)?doesnt it make things a bit difficult?anything can be done bout it?