ART120 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: ART120

Purchased from: EMIS - www.EmisMusic.co.uk

I use this guitar for mainly metal now (sounds really damn sweet through a Danelectro Fish & Chips through a Yamaha GW-10...a practise amp with so much heaviness!). But can also play some classic rock, BeachBoys style stuf (as i've had in my guitar lessons) and they all sound great! No fretbuzz at all (even on overdrive!) (unless the volume is on 10!).

Overally impression? Personally I think it's an animal of a guitar, great for beginners, great for everyone to be honest. The sound is perfect for recording too (but then again it also depends on the amp you're using!). I've been playing (seriously) for about 2 months now, but have always had a guitar by myside for about 5 years. If this was lost or stolen, I'd cry...and cry some more. Seriously this guitar is idol for anything and also the price is pretty darn good too!. So if you're looking for a Les Paul style guitar, at a reasonably great price...and also (apparently) a better quality than most Epiphone Les Pauls (according to members of the Ibanez forum) and would like to play anything...this guitar is for you!

I'd say this guitar is very realiable and also very durable. I've also dropped it accidently and the guitar stay intune and intact. The strap buttons are solid, haven't fallen off, hasn't come loose etc. I would have a back up (for heavier drop tunnings unless your guitar is set up right...and if you're playing sons in every sort of tunning and can't be bothered to tune your guitar after every song!). The finish hasn't defected either too! I chose the White model and it looks great too! Looks like it'll take more than a few years for the white paint to fall off? (haha!)

The guitar was set up by a great guy at EMIS (google it... If you're from the UK). The pick-ups where in their original positions/heights etc and were fine. The neck is also great, with access to every part of the fretboard so solo-ing is easy! I've noticed absolutly no flaws at all in the past few months of owning this monster and it looks great too. There's also a nice contour on the back that doesn't give you grief if you're sitting and playing for a while. And not to forget the width of the guitar, its slim and light weight too (unlike the Epiphone Les Pauls...I've trialed the Black Beauty and that was REALLY heavy and bulky compared to this ART120)

Neck is a ART Mahogany set-in neck, a Maple top/Mahogany body, 22 Medium Sized frets, Gibraltar III bridge, Quik Change III tailpiece with a LZ1-N in the neck position and a LZ1-B in the bridge. (Both active humbuckers) Standard Ibanez Tuners (that keep in tune unless you kick them... Accidently if you're lying it done on the floor - I've invested in a handy guitar stand!) 3 Way selector, 2 volume and 1 tone knob.

Zach Dunn
    jam22 wrote: How thick is the body of this guitar?
    i'd say just over an inch...seriously..
    Zach Dunn
    jam22 wrote: Also whats the neck like? i know it's no wizard, does it compare say to a ibanez gax 70. I found a gax quite slim compared to most other non wizzard and fast neck guitars.
    the neck is great and doesnt compareto any of the Gio's, this next is perfect and probably slimmer than the gax
    k33p1tr34l
    sg madness : what does it mean the pickups are powered by AA batterys ?
    Cause the picups are active pickups, you have to put batteries in them to make them work, I think you can use them without the batteries but it just sounds awful, also you can tell by the decrease in sound quality when the batteries run out.
    k33p1tr34l
    aksak
    k33p1tr34l wrote: So here's a question, I bought the black version today and I plugged in like I did with the display model in the shop, and when I payed it, I had my peravey up at FULL overdrive it still came out with a blues tone, almost no distortion or overdrive and it sounds clean as a bitch, does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?
    As the pickups on your ART 120 are active ones, check 1st if there are batteries in the battery compartment. If yes, check if they are ok.
    metalriff735
    damn, y did i have 2 look at this guitar, now i cant decide between this or a ibanez rgr321ex :S