ART120 review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Ibanez: ART120

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: Local Store

I'll start and drop the bombshell right away, The pickups in this are downright horrible. They lack a lot of clarity, sound muddy and have no punch (fans of Dimebuckers will like these) They run on 2 AA batteries, have a high output, which makes clea tones a little bit harder to dial in. A pro of these Actives is that they're simply Dead quiet.

I play a Lot of Metal. It does the job fine. But as I said, the pickups aren't anything special. I run this trough either a Fire Hazard (bugera) 6260 Combo. Or Peavey revalver. If it were stolen, I would buy something else, because I am a Gear sl*t. I love the way it looks, how the neck feels. And I hate the fret job. Compared it too a Vintage V100 (puke) It came out on top (of a skyscraper). I wish it had a decent fret job and better pickups!

Will it withstand live playing? Like a champ it does. The bridge is rock solid and comfortable, doesn't cut your hand, and string changing is a breeze. Would I use it without a back-up. Nope. Because a 20.000 dollar guitar can still break strings, and this does too. I can depend on it, I use it for recording and as soon as those pickups go far, far away, it will be perfect. the finish doesnt't wear except for the little edge over the bidning, which felt rough after a few days.

The factory set up, was as to be expected, Lots of buzz, lots of rattles and loose screws. But I am willing to accept that in this price range. After setting it up myself the action was just fine, it has a bunch of fret buzz around the 14th Fret. Everything was routed and cut properly, except for the nut, but that's because I set up my guitar with a High guage of string. The barrel type jack doesnt't come loose easily, which is a BIG plus for me.

Alright, THis review is about the Ibanez ART 120 Made in the Infamous indonesia. It features are: - Singlecut Mahogany Body ( don't get to excited, it isnt exactly perfect quality) - Mahogany Neck with a rosewood fretboard, inlayed at the 12th fret - Gibraltar and quick change bridge and Tailpiece. - Active pickups (we'll get to those bastards later) - 2 volume's and 1 tone, and your classic 3 way toggle - Non locking tuners

rahabaha
    I've had this guitar for 2 years now, and it was my first guitar. IMO this is a great guitar for anyone who wants to start playing, or if you've been playing for years. I bought it for 295, which I think is a bargain.
    Poperama
    I bought this guitar about a month ago and straight away i was comfortable with it. Fair enough i paid 300 for it, but it was from a local store and was very well set up and looked after. Regardless of what some people think of the pickups, i use a Spider IV and it sounds awesome. All in all i would recomment it to anyone. It looks sexy, feels sexy and plays sexy
    charvel8338
    i still haven't decide if i shoul buy this one or a schecter 006 deluxe... I need some help
    pacrat90
    It's an amazing guitar. But the pickups suck... Maybe it's just that I hate actives.. But they really have no emotion in them at all.. Clean tones fail. Heavily distorted sounds great though, cus these pickups really are COMPLETELY noiseless.
    pacrat90
    dylanbob wrote: Heeey, is the guitar contoured or is it flat like an epiphone LP special 2? Aaaaand what is it's clean tone like? Thank you.
    It's archtop, so it's realllllyyy sexy not those crap flat topped LTD EC50's and LP special 2's.