Artcore AF75 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: Artcore AF75

Unplugged the guitar has a bright and loud sound. It has a slightly metallic twang. Plugged in it uses that twang with a little distortion from my amp to make a tone worthy of Malcolm Young, and fits my AC/DC playing quite well. The pickups could be a little clearer, but I do have to take into account all the feedback thats probably coming at it with such a large sound cavity, but its something I can live with.

I play AC/DC-style rock 'n' roll and this guitar has the sound I need. It also is great for when I want to quiet down and play some lighter stuff, or work on my playing without blowing out the windows. I have have been playing for 2 1/2 years, and play with a 30 watt. Spider II. I also own a Strat-copy and a Peavey rage amp that I started playing on. I don't know if I would buy this guitar again if it was stolen, I love trying different guitars, but I'm glad I have it. Not really, I hadn't really seen any attractive archtops in my price range except an Epiphone, but it didn't have a deep enough body. Overall this is an awesome guitar for the guy Who has been playing for a couple years.

The guitar is sturdy. I haven't put hardly any noticeable scratches or dings in the six months I've had it. The chrome hardware doesn't tarnish or scratch easily. The strap buttons are sturdy, but haveing the neck-side one on the back of the body kind of worries me about slipping, though it hasn't happened. I would probably bring a spare to a gig, but that's pretty much true of any guitar I use. The finish isn't really wearing much.

The guy at the Guitar Center set up everything for me well. All the hardware was fine and sturdy, but I removed the pickguard anyway, because I like the look and could play easier without it. There was a fairly large scratch on the bottom that I noticed later, but its not something that anyone but you could really notice. The tuners are kind of weird shaped, I would have preffered smaller and rounder ones. The knobs are fine.

This guitar throws in alot of decent archtop features for a low price. It's a Chinese-made guitar, but it still isn't a cheap knockoff of what a nice rock or jazz guitar should be. I don't know for sure if it is hard-top or laminate (this is my first acoustic, only own 2 guitars, and its has finish that doesn't really tell you much about the wood), but has a full, loud sound. It has 22 frets, maple body, mahogany neck, blue to black finish, a small single cutaway on a fairly large body for an electric archtop, a tune-o-matic bridge, active electronics, 2/2 volume and tone knobs, and two chrome humbuckers. It gives all the features of an acoustic while still maintaining the abiltity to bite when plugged in.

Weybl Himself
    The other guitarist in a blues band I'm in plays one of these, nice hollow body. And dkoch, the pickups aren't active.
    4an
    this guitar has excellent sound and it looks better than the picture they have
    thehardwayout
    I own one black blus burst and they are quite attractive guitars, i might buy an AG75, these guitars are just BAMF guitars. BUY ONE!!!
    CDoGG
    I just got this guitar for $300 at my local shop, i had to raise the action and now it sounds sweet. I want to put some jazz strings on it in the future.
    thepagesaretorn
    lol to the guy who wrote the first article...Ibanez is owned by a group called Hoshino...it's Japanese =P
    williamzaspel
    I just bought this exact guitar and after talking with the guy at the music store, I feel pretty good about it. I haven't played for more than a few years, but I am optimistic and looking forward to using this guitar for improving in many styles that include picking. I have the blue sunburst and I think it's beautiful!
    Mental Hop
    How could all of you say it doesn't look good? I own the blue sunburt and it looks great. Maybe you need your eyes checked.
    adslam3
    i got this guitar a little bit ago and i'm loving it. it sounds great and feels great. great for blues (which i dont really play) and sounds as nice as an acoustic (more me). i plug it into my distortion pedal and can play anything. very sick guitar. i have zero complaints.
    young b
    this guitar shure doesnt look good but maybe can produce a unique sound
    dkoch
    Sorry, i meant to say passive, thanks for correcting me.
    metalprince67
    i actually tried that guitar and i used a line 6 600 watt amp it sounds pretty good for blues
    Froggy McHop
    My uncle plays these all the time, I always thought they look ugly too but I think the sound on 'ems great
    Weybl Himself
    hippieking24 wrote: being an artcore, it should be good for playing the blues. i hope its as good as the ones i've tried in guitar center that cost twice as much.
    Beautiful blues guitar, smooth as butter.
    hippieking24