Artcore AFS77T review by Ibanez

Ibanez: Artcore AFS77T

Purchased from: Big Rock/Williams Gateshead

I have used the guitar to play rock and pop and as a jazzbox. It handles all equally well. I wouldn't recommend it as a numetal guitar obviously, but would you use a 335? I use the guitar with a Marshall 80 Watt Acoustic amp, prior to this I used it with a Laney 60 watt electric. I use the guitar through a Boss ME-50 except for jazz. The guitar is not unreasonably noisy, even with a good deal of distortion. You can easily coax a purr or a scream out this instrument.

One of the sexiest guitars I've ever seen, and certainly my favourite possesion. The bigsby system doesn't badly affect the tuning, unless it hasnt been used for a while. My only regret is that I cannot easily play the higher frets of the guitar (without changing the guitar to an awkward angle) so for any songs that have fast or playing at high frets I have to use a different guitar, or RH tap. For the price I paid, even for the full price, the sound and look of the guitar are amazing. I never expected to find such a good hollowbody for the price. If it were lost or stolen I would cry. I don't know whther I would buy the same guitar again, if my budget was tight (probably) I would definately buy another Artcore. If not I would move up to a high range Gibson or Gretsch. I can't imagine repacing it other than in those circumstances.

My one major concern with this guitar is the reliability. I would not gig without a backup as I have twice had to take the guitar for repairs after the jack socket has fallen back inside the body. I was advised that using not using right angle leads lessens this problem, I am unsure as to whether this is correct. As the guitar is a Hollowbody, it will not stand up to rough handling that a solid body might take. The other day I heard a worrying crackle on one of the tone pots, maybe the electrics will need replacing sometime, but I have given the guitar a few years of playing.

Action needed slight tweaking fresh from the factory, but its easily done. Otherwise it was well set up.

Dumil.
    I have a AFS75T and it rocks i use it for ska, reggae, punk, and even metal has been played in it! i love it!
    mattshezz
    im finding i difficult to find many guitars from this collection such as the afs75t and the 77
    bassetrox
    I think Ibanez have stopped making this particular model, though there are still plenty of artcore trems on the market