Artcore AM73T review by Ibanez

Ibanez: Artcore AM73T

Purchased from: GAK

I play all sorts of music because I am in a rock band and I am a session musician and I always use my '73 as my NO. 1 Gtr (and often don't need a back up (infact it has never failed me)). I hav played it as an acoustic but it best it 2 ways. Iether as a clean sounding guitar sound (I played mine, the first time live, playing hotel california and it sounded superb). I also find that the pickups work brilliantly as distorted rocky pick ps (from Slayer to Queen your prety much sorted). The only let down is that it has only got humbuckers so you cant get a trebaly half distortion (like in most indy rock).

In my time guitaring life I'v played on thousands of world famouse guitars (i.e. LPs, Parkers, SGs, Explorers, Flying Vs, Telecasters, Stratocasters, 335s and many other) and this is up with them, I got it purly on looks and was astounded by everything it has to offer. My advice - buy one.

It's amazing live, as previously stated but I can't say what its like over time as I have only had it for little over a year. But when playing live I always have a backup but never have to use it.

All I can say are 3 words 'Good God Allmighty' it is amazing.

This is a semi/jazz style axx that can be used for all walks of music. It has an Artcore neck (with small frets) providing amazing action when soloing or when playing rythem all over the neck. It is nearly all made out of maple (Japans fines). The axe has an ArtI bridge and a quick change III tail piece. ACH I pickup at the neck providing near unsurpassable tone and an ACH II pickup at the bridge giving one hell of a kick to any distortion and feel to any sound. The only finnish available is transparant brown, but you wouldn't want any other. For a hollow body it is surprisingly thin and comfertable to old and to play (the neck width and body are around the same as a LP). There is a three way toggle and 4 controls (a volume and tone for each pickup). Its only let down is that it only has 22 frets and hasn't got a whamy bar as standard, but the available frets are easily accesible and if you want to go higher it is very easy to use a slide.

rock_and_blues
    you CANNOT play all kinds of music on this guitar....this is a genre based instrument...i know i bought one thinking i could play all kinds, but it is soley for blues/jazz/and classic/modern rock. Nothing in the metal genres can be played through this because it gets atrocious feedback at higher volumes, and I have tried that as well. The bridge makes it very hard to shred, or play fast alternate picked rythmns. The non-locking tremelo also adds to its uselessness in the shred genre. I'm not trying to bash it...its a beautiful instrument, when used in the right context...just beware and make sure your getting it for the right reason.