Artcore AS73 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: Artcore AS73

Purchased from: A Local Guitar Shop

The sound is really good and cam be comparable to many Gibsons I know of. But it is probably a game of luck since this doesn't have the quality of the Gibson brand, and are not made out of the better woods. A little annoyance is some string buzz that can only be heard when playing without an amp. Going through a Marshall amp the sound can be described as a classic tone that will work for alt rock, classic rock, and milder metal songs.

This is a great intermediate guitar that will last a very long time of playing. It is way better than my starter guitar. If it were stolen or lost I would probably get another one. I love the finish and the sound of the guitar. I can't really compare it to other guitars but it is worth the purchase price. It has everything in it that I would like especially for the price.

This guitar should last a long time with the proper treatment and the sound will only get better. the hardware is a very durable metal that i haven't encountered any problems with yet so it seems like it will last for quite a while. My strap has securely held the guitar and has never fallen off since i bought it. Although back-ups are preferred by many professionals, this guitar doesn't need a back up because of how dependable it is. And finally the finish is very well made that it should last the life of the guitar or for a long time of playing gigs.

Since I bought it used I can't say the action was like this new, but it has a relatively low action that works well for my style of play. I've never done any pick-up work so the locations seem to capture the right sound from the strings. the guitar was slightly worked on, the guitar shop had adjusted the neck and refretted it and so when I bought it it was perfect with no flaws.

Made in 05' in Japan this guitar is the Ibanez as73. It has a Standard 22 fret neck, and two humbuckers. I currently bought D'addario electric guitar strings which give it a warm crunch. The way the sunburst finish looks can only be accurately judged in person, and the slightly off white trim makes it look even better. With a glossy finish the colors of the guitar are enhanced and don't look bland or dull like in photos. When I bought it I got a case and a strap for it as well. The strap is a Planet Waves silvery dragon design (that doesn't look cheesy like many other straps). this strap is very comfortable and I would buy from the same company for all my straps. the case looks nice but the outer material can be scraped off if bumped into walls or other hard objects.

gerbil_mastr
    hemi-san wrote: why not just go all the way and get an es
    Because not all of us can just pull $1000 out of our ass for a guitar
    MichaelOfCanton
    as for the comments that it cant do metal, the bridge pup could rip somebody a new place to poop, even the stock one i replaced mine with. it was just too nasal, which would make it even more ripping to the eardrums perspective.
    MyDogDoesTricks
    I bought the AS 73 this weekend at Guitar Center. It listed for $349 but, with the 10% off coupon from their website, I paid $314. I got the transparent cherry red which looks way better in person than online. It's a very beautiful and well made guitar.
    ivri
    played this one as well as the AS73B. these are real eye openers. i can't think of any other make that gives you as much bang for your buck (pound,denar, shilling, ruble, shekel...) than Ibanez. they've totally converted me from being a les paul snob. but to get back on subject, this guitar and its 73B sibling are worth checking out if you are seriously considering a semi-hollow.
    Jeff Gu
    I bought an AS73 for my wife, and play it myself quite a bit... the guitar's construction and attention to detail is excellent... every ES-335 I've looked at in the last few years has had too many flaws that just shouldn't show up in that price range... stain bleeding into the binding, poor neck joint, sloppy fretwork, etc. The Ibanez has none of these issues. If the wife wasn't happy with the pickups (she is) I would swap them out... but then, I do that on almost everything I own. These are very nice "poor man's 335" guitars, a bit better than the Epiphone DOT but not as true to the 335 shape, obviously. It's meant to compete, not clone. When I record blues backing tracks, I use this guitar for all of the clean tracks, unless it's a purely acoustic one, then I use... well, pics on my profile will give you a clue... you guess which one...
    Straydogger
    Got mine for under $300 at Guitar Center because it had a small scratch on the back of neck near the headstock. Best deal I've ever made! Very nice guitar in red and it plays like a dream.
    envyrider
    i just bought mine yesterday so sic!!!!! i only payed 100$ new but then again the head stock was repaired im still blowned away with the soun,look, quality guitar i have. it puts my ibanez gio to shame i could only imagen a les paul sounding like this guitar but semi hollow seem to make a difference at this price great ****ing guitar
    bhatta
    I am sure you guys have got better pieces.. I played 1 yesterday. It was fitted with a vintage Bigsby type vibrato. But the action on the one was ridiculously high. Was not very impressed by the sound too. I dont play metal, but i think it would not do justice. wanted a jazz instrument and was disappointed actually. I sure am gonna give DOT a try... 9.2! seems a little OTT rating for this... But then again maybe my particular piece was faulty in factory settings...
    rickwerneck
    Bought one for US250 (with hardshell case, a strap and a cable) at a pawn shop in Miami last thursday. Flew back to Brasil on saturday and played it all day on sunday. Well, what can I say... It's absolutely amazing and versatile... You can get different sounds with different stomp boxes... From Bossa Nova to Jazz, to Blues, to different rock styles... And the price... Absolutely unbeatable... It'll probably saty with me for quite a few years...