AX120 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: AX120

I play rough punk and metal. Lots of suff from the Ramones and The Sex Pistols to Steppenwolf and Iron Maiden. You can squeeze losts of sounds out of this guitar on a tiny Fender Frontman reverb 38w amp. The distortion is pretty good if you put it through a nice amp. I like to plug it into my Line 6 Guitar Pod. I plugged it into my buddies (I think it was 100w) Mesa Boogie and it sounded unreal! If you're not careful it can sound pretty crappy wiht a lot of effects. This guitar is made for minimum additions. So I reccomend guitar to amp wiht no crap in beetween. The thing I dont like about this guitar is the pickups. They are hollow and flat sounding. I will probably see if I can find somthing else to put in there. But I can totaly live with what its got now. I really hate small skinny strings. I like to put big ones on this guitar. It gives it a much fuller sound somhow. So if you get one of these, I suggest getting some nice srings and a nice amp or preamp. And possibly changing the pickups if you want.

I don't think I could find a guitar that is more suited to the way I play. It's very primitive and rough sound is great for punk and bluesy rock styles. While is bright squeal helps me accomplish spine tingling Iron Maiden style solos. And the amount I paid for it is unimaginably low for the quality of the instrument. I have been playing for six years. I only ever own two guitars at a time latley. one acoustic (maple Seagull stage guitar) and an electric (my Ibanez). This is because I really don't have the money to have more. Whenever I want a new guitar I have to sell one to be able to afford it. I'm not a technical musician. so if it sounds good and plays good, I like it. I loved the fact that you pay very little to get a guitar that is comparable to a Gibson SG. I hated the hollow sound of the pickups. I would reccomend this guitar to people just starting out or seasoned pros who want something that's great playing and good sounding.

When I bought it, I brought it home and started playing it right away. I didn't have to make any adjustments other than the starp buttons which can get pretty loose if you jump around alot when you play. The tuning pegs had to be adjusted a couple times in the first week but thats about all that I and to do to it. All the knobs are great and the selector is pretty silent.

aSh_SG
    I play one too. And I love it! For the price I paid(245) It is a kick ass guitar!
    Gibson_Rocker13
    i played an actual ax120 once and was amazed. it was so smooth but had a rather different feel that i was used to. amazing guitar none the less