AX120 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: AX120

Purchased from: eBay.co.uk

I play mainly blues, and this guitar can do exactly what I want. Whether it's simple rhythm work, or a belting solo, it delivers a quality sound. It sounds awesome through my Marshall MG100HDFX head and MG412B 4X12" cab. For the price, I expected something mediocre that probably needed some work to make it perform, but as soon as I plugged it in and turned up the volume, I realised that this guitar was amazing value for money. It blew my socks off! I love the sound of this guitar when I play it through my Crybaby. I haven't played this guitar through my effects board yet, but from what I've read here and elsewhere, it suffers when effects are stacked up on it. Other than that I cannot think of anything to really point out as terrible.

This guitar seems to play anything you throw at it. As I said earlier, I play a lot of blues, and this guitar screams when it's let loose through the MG100HDFX. I've been playing for about 3/4 years now and this guitar can hold its own. It stays in tune relatively well, mostly due to the fixed bridge. It is very lightweight as well, especially compared to my old Westfield LP copy. It sounds great when played through my Crybaby. What with having bought a new tele, if it were lost/stolen, I would probably not replace it. This guitar as a good all rounder, and would suit anyone, from beginner to expert.

I feel this guitar is tough. It looks as if it may have taken a beating from the abusive childish hands of it's previous owner, but it still sounds awesome. The strap buttons are solid, and don't show any sign of falling out. I'd say this guitar is dependable, though due to recently buying a Telecaster, this will become my backup guitar, and rightly so. I would rely on this guitar to help me out of a bad position. The finish is lovely, apart from the previous owner's attempt at art I the form of a crudely carved star just above the knobs, but as this doesn't affect the way it plays, it isn't really too much of an issue.

The guy who I bought this guitar from had made a right cock up of setting it up. Had to adjust the action and raise the pickups a fair bit. Other than this, the only flaw with it was the fact the idiot had decided to carve a bloody star into the wood, and action I cannot forgive him for.

This guitar has 22 frets, that are fat enough for my chubby fingers. It has a mahogany body, and one piece bound maple neck.It has a lovely style that makes it look and feel like an Ibanez. When I first got it, I thought it looked a bit like the Gio GAX30. However, this guitar plays better than the GAX30 that belonged to an ex girlfriend of mine. It has a fixed bridge, passive electronics, a three way selector controlling the IBZ AH3 and IBZ AH4 pickups. Mine came with silver hardware, but I've seen them around with black hardware. This guitar came with a cheap gig bag and strap, both of which I have replaced

truemetal91
    replace the factory strings and you're away. the pickups aren't as aggressive as you might like but still a great sounding guitar, quite a fast neck