Darkstone DN520K DNV review by Ibanez

Ibanez: Darkstone DN520K DNV

Price paid: C$ 671.99

Purchased from: Axe Music

I play pretty much every genre and style of music but I mainly play rock and metal. This guitar suits any sort of style even though it is labeled as a "metal guitar" For example I play in a jazz band at school and it works excellent for that type of sound and when I come home I play some metal and it still sounds great. This guitar has range. I use a DigiTech RP355 multi-effects processor and a Peavey X-series amp with this guitar. This isnt the best setup but it works fine. Depending on what you play and what effects you are using this guitar can do pretty much anything you want. If you want heavy feed back or a rich clear sound, this guitar can do it.

I play everything. Like literally everything on guitar and its a perfect match because this guitar can do anything you would like as I have stated before multiple times. I'm 14 and have been playing for 9 years. I also own a Yamaha CRAP SERIES electric and an Ibanez classical guitar. I did my research before buying this guitar. I looked up reviews, looked online for stores and asked around at stores too. If it was stolen I would go on a rampage because I absolutely love this guitar to death and the feeling on the upper neck like up near the 15th-22nd frets is definatly my favourite feature. Along with the tone knob controls and the finish. :) the one and only thing I hate about this guitar is its weight. Its a little to heavy for my liking. Before buying I compared it to a Jackson Kelly, Jackson Rhoads, Peavey Tomb III and also an Epiphone Sg. I chose this guitar because all of the other guitars I compared it to were either to expensive or I would have to do alot of adjusting and I would have to buy alot of new parts to suit my wants. A couple extra things I think it could/should have are an on/off kill Switch (with distortion it gives alot of feed back) and better strap locks. Very little complaints. Excellent guitar. :)

I haven't really played much live shows but the ones that I have played this guitar got the job done and looked sexy as hell up there on stage. I really like the hardware because it seems really sturdy and doesn't move what so ever compared to some poor quality guitars. This guitars strap locks arnt the greatest considering the weight. This is a fairly heavy guitar so I do recommend getting some bigger, more reliable strap locks. I have had multiple incidents where I almost dropped my guitar onto the ground.:z If you were playing a live show you would not need a back up guitar but it pays to be safe. The finish is very nice. It has a purple and black splatter finish. The entire finish runs all over the body, up the back of the neck and all the way up to the back and front of the headstock. It is very classy and very reliable.

Before I got this guitar setup to my wants, I played it for about 2 weeks factory set. It sounded great right out of the box but after I did get it setup it did sound better. The pickups were adjusted just fine. No complaints there. The bridge could have been setup a little bit better if I do say so myself. Since I special ordered it there were no imperfections in the look. No one had touched it so it had a great look and everything was cut perfectly.

This guitar was made in China but is still a VERY good quality guitar. It has 22 medium sized frets. It had a very smooth Rosewood fingerboard. The body and neck of the guitar is made of Sapele (Very close to Mahogany). Its has 2 cutaways with a very classy little piece that has been cutaway on the very bottom of the guitar. It has a tune-o-matic bridge. The bridge in very unique in away where the string just slides in and locks into place in the back of the bridge for easy changing. It has 1 volume knob and 1 tone knob. The tone knob is cool because if you push it in then the pickups will pick up as dual humbuckers but if you pull out the knob then they will pick up as 2 single coil pickups.It has a 3-way tone selector. Neck pickup - PP1-N (H) Bridge pickup -PP1B-B (H). The pickguard it very different. It has a unique design.(Very Stylish) When I purchased this guitar I had to special order it but when I received it it came with an instruction manual and necessary tools for adjusting the truss rod and bridge.

MaggaraMarine
    CatAmplifier wrote: how can a China guitar get 4 10?
    That's true but you should read the review and not only look at the numbers. Numbers say nothing.
    Green St
    An amazing guitar. Tried it a couple of days ago and wow!!!!! Well done Ibanez, i'm going to buy one very soon
    lukeswarm
    I have the DN500k, it is my 3rd electric guitar and it is a amazing peice of kit. For the money its a real bargin. I play it more than a ESP that cost over $500 more and a fender that was about the same price... All played through a line6
    BigHeadClan
    24 frets gives me the perfect length and fret-size I may only use my 24th fret for a few songs, but I like to have the option.
    MaggaraMarine
    dementiacaptain wrote: does anyone actually play those 24 frets enough to make a difference? further more, all of those same notes can be achieved on the next string except of course the 24th fret of the 1st E string. do you really need that?
    +1. There aren't a lot of solos that need 24 frets. And if they need 24 frets you don't need to play exactly the same solo. In the 80s there were hardly any 24 fret guitars. Van Halen used 21 frets and he could play everything he wanted. Shred guitarists in the 80s had almost always 22 frets.