DT200 Destroyer review by Ibanez

Ibanez: DT200 Destroyer

Purchased from: C&M Music

The sound of this guitar can be described no other way than purely awesome. The soft mahogony gives it a thick, warm tone and a good deal of bass, while the hard maple neck contributes indefinite sustain, and a certain element of brightness to the tone. I use a Line6 Spider II 112 amplifier. My musical style varies from time to time, but this guitar is perfect for it all. My love lately has been Iron Maiden, and this guitar pulls it off incredibly. Also, I find this the guitar of choice, set to the neck pickup, for blues as well. That thick tone makes for a blues tone that comes close to Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Again, I play a lot of rock and metal music. This guitar is a perfect match for that in looks, in feel, and in sound. I've been playing for about 4 years and I've never played another guitar like it. If this guitar were lost or stolen, I would definitely replace it. I couldn't imagine a world without my Ambur. I have six guitars, and only this one gets a spot on my wall. The rest are in their cases behind my couch. I love every little thing about it. There are things I would, and will change, but nothing I hate.

This guitar is definitely worth of live playing. It's lightweight, so you may want to excercise a little extra caution, but I've had no problems at all playing live with it. The hardware is definitely solid. I had one strap button that was missing in the shop, but I'm sure that was a freak occurrence. I could never get it fixed the way I wanted it, so I moved it elsewhere (it was on the back of the body behind the neck joint. It is now on the shoulder of the guitar). I would definitely use this at a gig without a backup. I have many times, as a matter of fact. It's not something I like to do, however, because of the natural occurrence of broken strings, and other small things like this. The finish would definitely be there for a good long while, were it not for me. I'm having it re-stained a dark red transparent finish.

The action of this guitar is impecable. It has a very low action without rattly strings, which means you won't sacrifice its sound for its comfort. The fit was a perfect one for me. Everything was adjusted correctly, except for the pickups, which were a little low for my taste, but this is very very easy to remedy. My only complaint lies in the input jack, which comes loose from time to time. It hasn't become a problem, and I'm hoping it won't. Also there was a tiny scratch in the finish on the body at the neck joine.

595Metallica595
    wow looks like the explorer, im very atracted because i was about to buy an explorer but was low on extra money sooo. this may be the next one. the reviews make it sound really good im definately interested
    2020vision
    i have one of these, except in cherry red.. its my main guitar, and i love it.. really kicks ass and looks good onstage IMO.. plus it doesnt look too 'metal' either, so you can play anything on it and be convincing.. great guitar
    Nerdo-sez-bo
    I tried out one of these a couple of months back, glorious sound, it was a bit heavy though... But the action was pretty damn admirable, I do a lot of fast riffing.
    feesk8ordie
    I just bought one of these babies yesterday for 200, (less than half RRP) in a sale, and I'm a huge fan of the Explorer shape, but I find Gisbson necks too chunky, so this guitar is absolutely perfect for me
    Sendrith
    i like the explorer shape, except without the gibson pricetag and/or neck/headstock www.axemusic.com have Ibanez DT200 in a clearcoat (called vintage amber) for $313 CAD, that a pretty good price?
    lyndonodnyl
    i own this guitar and i can officially say that it has to be one of the best of its price range. great sounding stock p'ups, solid mahogany, nice hardware. not to mention the fact it really gets u looked at. as good as a similarilly priced ESP n better than an Epiphone.