DT200 Destroyer review by Ibanez

Ibanez: DT200 Destroyer

Purchased from: GAK

I mostly play metal, whether it be thrash, industrial, etc. This guitar handles metal very well, and with the shape it looks right too. the stock pickups are of surprising quality and are very quiet, until you strike a powerchord, then it growls. The tone is greatly improved by the solid mahogany body, giving it a deep warm sound, with comes through even more on a clean channel, where it really purrs. It basically fits well into any style of rock or metal music, it even handles blues quite well. The only limitation is the body which keeps it firmly in the metal variety.

This is my perfect guitar. My plan is to eventually have another one in black, which has now been discontinued and was my first choice. I'd also like to replace the pickups with Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set, but when the stock are that good, would it be a waste of money? I'd definetly buy it again. Who is this suited for? People like me for starters, who were inspired to pickup a guitar by james hetfield, and who now know that an Explorer is their weapon of choice, but don't have the funds to afford an ESP or Gibson. This will do my friend, till the day we can all afford custom Explorers. In fact the thing that I loved most about this guitar was the fact that it reminded me of Hetfield's Ken Lawrence custom Explorer.

I believe this guitar to be very reliable and hardwearing. It keeps tune well and the body finish is tough. Strap buttons are solid although I'd recommend strap locks any way, having had a few near misses myself. Hardware is very secure, especially the tuners, which seem to be a speciality at Ibanez. This is a guitar made for the live circuit, no mistake.

Set up from the factory was fantastic, which surprised me. Pickups were adjusted. No blemishes on the guitar. Poly coating on guitar appears thick, as I have knocked it many a time and never scratched it, apart from a mysterious scratched on the front of the headstock, which was probably more down to it being transported roughly. Only major flaw, input jack socket often comes loose and the outer nut can become very loose. This however can be remedied by removing the socket cover and tightening both nuts either side of the input jack plate with a wrench. Sorted.

The Destroyer follows the traditional Explorer set up of HardTail bridge and double humbuckers. Although this model is produced in Korea it's workmanship is next to none. it has a lush hard maple neck and 22 fret rosewood fretboard. The body is made of solid mahogany and finish I chose was a very striking wood effect/'Vintage Amber' it has 2 volume, 1 tone, 3-way selector, pretty straight forward. The tuners are fantastic, I play .11 gauge strings and they hardly ever lose tuning stability. Guitar features a rounded heel and has a deeper cutaway than a traditional Explorer, allowing for extremely good access, on a par with a Strat. That's good! The pickups are stock, passive Infinity pickups. It came fitted with D'Addario strings and a free hardcase, which is huge and bloody heavy.

craigancira
    I have a 1980 Les Paul custom and a 1980 DestroyerII, both bought new. I play my Destroyer most of the time, the action and sound are incredible....People who put down the Destroyer have never played one and have no idea what they're talking about.
    ibanez-4-life
    i bought one not long ago, when i picked it up the huumbuckers were ****ed up. Its still one of the best guitars i have bought, and its only like 350 dollars (my buddy at guitar source hooked it up for 300 AWESOME!)
    butcherer
    These ratings are bogus, 'cause nobody is prepared to admit that they dropped a paycheque on a pile of dump.
    k*CMYK
    Am i the only one who thinks it's too big and it's sad because they stoped making the DTX120? |:
    zackk
    i got this guitar two years ago and its still looks and sounds great
    Donkey Fly
    i got this guitar for 160GBP off Ebay USA - Used but Refurbished with new fret wires and refinished etc.....amazin Guitar....makes me proud to be british.
    Lainey
    I have been wanting one of these since I saw Matt Bellamy (Muse) use it in their 2004 Absolution tour. WHY CAN'T I FIND IT IN THE FRICKING SHOPS?!?!? I got no way of getting it offline
    mrhappypants
    Very nice guitar, one in a long list of Explorer knock-offs that are just as good, if not better than the Gibson itself. Well done, Ibanez.
    guitarguru4
    How the **** can you say this guitar is ugly? And the wood finish isn't ridiculous....I think it looks good.
    Kid Fisto
    s1yfa wrote: plus it doesnt look too 'metal' either, so you can play anything on it and be convincing WHAT!!! how the hell does that work? You can play anything you want on any guitar you want. whether it'll sound goes is another question, but you cant say what someone will play purely on the look of a guitar. i mean, fit that with a couple of emg-81's and the only thing you CAN play WILL be metal! still looks the same tho...
    not true not true at all. try playing pink floyd or jazz or country on a Dean Dimebag Razorback or a B.C. Rich Beast or Kerry King Sig. that is def. not gonna work. but you're right, you CAN play it, it's just not going to be that good...
    masterometal666
    well, that's true, but you don't see to many country guitarists with a warlock, now do you?
    s1yfa
    Scoundrel0307
    I had a 1984 Destroyer II, Phil Collin edition, with three humbuckers, and it was pretty flippin sweet, so I would get this guitar if I came across it.
    guitarguru4
    I was looking at guitars a year ago and I ended up not liking the ESP Hammet Sig. and I wanted this..really bad. But right befre I got there they had just sold it...SO I rolled with the SZ-320. Thats a damn good guitar.
    Co&Ca182
    cheames wrote: I'm torn between this and an ESP...god damnit!
    go esp!