DT400 Destroyer II review by Ibanez

Ibanez: DT400 Destroyer II

Purchased from: Used

The sound is fairly bright due to the maple, but the pickups that have came stock don't have too much highs, so I plan on keeping it that way and getting a DiMarzio Super Distortion (for the added gain, and probably Vintage). The neck pickup is a little bit not-hot, and sound very mellow. I may replace it eventually, but it does clean up well. It can play anything from blues rock to metal, atleast with a Classic 30 and a 5150, respectively. If you want twang look for something else, unless you want to just cover up part of your pickup cavity. The guitar itself resonates well (gotta love large, obscenely heavy bodie). A quick roll of the volume knob and switch of pickups will yeild a totally different tone (like most guitars that aren't crap). Would be an 8, but the stock pickups, while great for rock and maybe some jazz, dont quite cut it for death metal.

Other than the lack of lack of a locking system, it works great for extreme metal (I'll need a RG or Jackson for my wammy abuse). Guitars do what you tell them to do, no questions asked (unless it a bad solder joint) so if you put a Strat infront of a Mesa, its going to sound metal. AC30 not so metal. Overall, on my overdrive tone I can get some great brutal tones, roll down the volume, maybe switch pickups, and I can get atleast something close enough to most rock genres. I'm sure it would clean up fine on a lower gain setting, I just switch channels for my clean tone. If stolen, I would find it at one of any pawn shop in the area (not the most common thing). Really, I would totally buy this again, was I in the same position that I was when I got it a little over a year ago. Now that I have a bad shoulder and a want to play with a locking sytem, I may get a RG or something, try some schecters. In reality I'll jut keep this and get the locking system.

The guitar is solid as a rock, no moving parts (except tuners), and no sharp points, I haven't broken a string on it for atleast 8 months, and that was probably just stretching it. Everything is stock, except maybe some pots and some tuners. They don't make them like this anymore, well they do just not for cheap.

The guitar itself can go as low as the string tension allows (I like it high and loose). No warping or any kind of major problem, infact it has aged quite nicely, taking on a smokier colour. There was a problem with a fret having a slit under it, on the high E. Very fixable. I give this a 7, because it is a bit of a beater, but thats just the flavor of an older instrument I think.

Made in 1981, in Japan (Fujigen?), the Destroyer is an Explorer copy. 22 frets and 25.5" scale length. It has a flamed maple top, and I believe the body is Ash, and the neck maple (only from personal research), and it has a rosewood fingerboard. Finish is a red sunburst on the maple top, darker red/maroon on the rest of the body/neck, the head is black on front, and there is cream binding around the entire guitar. Gold hardware also. Tune=o=matic bridge. I have the original pickups in it now, and they actually don't sound too bad for stock pickups. Times have changed and the stock pickups in newer Ibanez are generally crap (infinity 1&2). There is one tone and two volumes stock, but I have two tones, along with a 3-way selector and two humbucker spaces. The tuners I have on there now are Gotoh, very sure they arent stock, but it stays in tune none-the-less.

Oosh.
    Its a nice guitar, i was after one. I do like the way you say, "guitars do what you tell them"
    Blas3
    gerardk wrote: I jizzed at the picture!
    sexual orientation fail. BTW, article is great, I definiately wanna pick one of those up and try them out!
    athlete1
    DeathByDestroyr
    Oosh. I do like the way you say, "guitars do what you tell them"
    they do!
    athlete1 why is the user rating so low? these old ibanez copies are amazing, especially the one's in korina.
    they really are fine guitars, i guess that they never actually made the copies out of korina?
    wesselbindt
    Pics or gtfo.
    athlete1 wrote: why is the user rating so low? these old ibanez copies are amazing, especially the one's in korina.
    This one's in ash.
    kharhlevans
    great job! but why?
    If stolen, I would find it at one of any pawn shop in the area
    DeathByDestroyr
    ZOMG, it fell down the stairs. O.o.0 Luckily, damage isnt severe, wood putty and a new nut lol. Craftsmenship for sure! 30 years old and it can still fall down the stairs... -.-