EDR170 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: EDR170

Purchased from: Real Time

It certainly doesn't have many whistles and bells, however, you don't need them! It has 3 pickups, to Humbucker pickups designed by EMG which are a very trustworthy company, volume and tone control and a 5 position pickup switch. As it was made in Indonesia you would expect lower quality, however, the finish on the guitar is outstanding and there was only a little fret buzz at the start, but after a month it was completely gone and over the years I have encountered no other problems with it. The body is made of a high quality plastic called Luthite which is quite heavy but at the same time almost impossible to dent. The EDR line up was ultimately discontinued in 2006 because people didn't like the idea for a plastic guitar, however the Luthite gives the guitar amazing resonance.

The EMG pickups provide a powerful, bright yet rocky sound, perfect for most styles of guitar playing: from '70s metal to blues, and the guitar can resonate amazingly compared to other guitars of this price range and even higher. All three pickups provide a beastly rich and full sound and up to yet they have lost no power to them like a lot of guitars at this price range would. There is also almost no feedback with this guitar when paired with the Spider II 75W Line 6 amp even at high volumes when gigging. Unfortunately this guitar doesn't have a kill switch like you see in a lot of modern guitars, especially Gibsons, however it is unnecessary.

The action was a little high for my liking and the floating tremolo was held by a scrap piece of wood when I got it as I bought it second hand. So I removed the block of wood and tightened the springs, lowering the action which did the job. The action is still a little higher than my Antoria Les Paul Copy from 1974, however to fix this you would need to by a new floating tremolo. The nut is made out of plastic, however, it was perfectly set up and the guitar stayed in tune, so there was no point of upgrading to a bone or graphite nut.

I am a very clumsy person, however, out of the many accidental drops and bashes there is not a single dint in the body or neck: truly amazing. Up to yet the hardware has been fine and there is only buckle rash on the back which you would see in every guitar unless its been protected with diamond coated platinum, so considering I play for 10 hours a week on average, for £210 your argument is invalid. I have depended on this guitar for years and will do for many years to come as there has been no deterioration whatsoever of its sound quality and playing it becomes easier and easier every day.

I play '60s/'70s metal up to modern punk pop which is quite a range of music, and this guitar is perfect for this. It is easy to play a range of styles of music, from shredding to finger picking, and it can withstand my clumsiness. If my guitar was stolen I would hunt down the person who stole it and burn their house down, if it was lost I would set out a search and rescue mission for it involving the police, air police, the army and an ambulance for no reason just to find it because I love this guitar as it was my first proper guitar. I would also gladly pay double what I payed for this guitar.