EDR470EX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: EDR470EX

Purchased from: Academy Of Sound

As I haven't been playing for that long, I wanted a guitar that could still offer me a good choice of sounds, and this Ibanez certainly can. The 5 way pickup selector gives a good range of sounds and tones, from deep-almost acoustic to a bright (add distortion Blink 182) kinda sound. All the configurations give a great sound though. I play on a Roland Cube 30, which has built in effects including basic disto, tremolo chorus and loads more, putting this with the edr can produce an amazing range of sounds. Fiddle around and get from Green Day/Blink almost squaeky pop punk tones to (with the aid of some dropped tuning) the gravelly, almost grindcore tones of s.o.a.d and Slipknot, as well as pretty much all inbetween, enough fiddling got me a nice blues sound one time.

I've been playing about 2 years now, and wanted an instument that had a good sound and ability range, which this does without loosing anything in the process. I own a Roland Cube 30 and a knackered squire Strat. If it got lost I'd buy another one,and if it were stolen id kill the lil fucker and get it back, but if not possible I'd get another yeh. What I really like is the sound, which is great, but also just the finishing on the head stock and tuning pegs etc. The body is a metallicy blue and the brushed aluminium looking parts look the nuts against it. Probably my fav thing is the floyd rose, when your bored just mess around with that and have hours o fun! Or am I just really sad? There is nothing else I would of had really, and I'm glad I didn't, fantastic aesthetics, fantastic sound, fantastic instrument, well, in my opinion.

I'd say this guitar is fairly solid, altough I don't exactly throw it around, it was alot of money! All the parts, tuning pegs and volume/tone switches are brilliant quality and will last a fair few years I'd say. As for the body, from the material is made of, the colour runs all through the luthite (not painted on top) so any chips etc can hardly be noticed and will always look brand new, bonus I'd say. I'd use this gigging anytime, maybe not without another, because of tuning, which is a pain sometimes with the trem.

Like I said, this guitar came right from the shop, so I expected it to be set fairly right, but of course, it wasn't. I had to have a fiddle with the floyd rose for a while to get it positioned and in tune, and my mate who's been playing for about 15 years checked it out for me too, and it was fine. No marks, scratches or poorly fitted parts, just a sexy guitar thats awesome to play.

I bought this guitar brand new after playing it a couple of times in the shop and really liked it. It's got 22 fret "wizard" neck which is really thin and fast, which suited me fine. Comes with custom deisgned emg pickups h/s/h,5 way pickup selector, floyd rose trem 2, I'd say it was Strat styled, but its part of the ergodyne range, so its quite curvy and rounded, body is made from something called luthite, mine is a metallicy blue/purple.