EDR470EX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: EDR470EX

Purchased from: Pete Oakley's

I play music ranging from heavy death metal (Element Eighty) to chilled Indie and classic stuff (Coldplay, Dire Straits), and it perfectly suits them all. As I mentioned earlier, if you want to use the guitar in overdrive toggle it to one of the humbuckers and play away, if you want to play something like scar tissue or similar just use it clean and incorparate the single coil. I generally have the tone pot more towards treble and the volume at full and it sounds magnificent. It is such a versatile instrument like most Ibanezes (that right?) it can produce nearly any sound you want it to. Only aspect of sound I can fault is that it does not sustain notes very long.

I been playin' for a while, no idea how long, I started just playin' loads on mates guitars so no partic time, got this guitar Xmas 2004. As I said earlier it matches any style of music. I didn't understand the complications of a double locking trem, my fault. If something happened to it I would love to replace it with exactly the same thing, however, Ibanez have stopped selling them in the UK so I can't! I love everything about it, even the fact its heavy because it feels like I'm actually playing something. My favourite aspects are the trem, the pick-ups adn the neck. I considered getting a Maverick F-3, a basic tele and an Ibanez SA. Only thing I tink it would be better with possibily is a standard trem a locking tuners, but I think that would decrease its string life so I'm not sure of that.

It's made of luthite. This is possibily the hardest substance you can get a guitar made out of. It will most definately last. I would use it at a gig, strap buttons seem fine, hardware seems very solid. I would never gig without backup, even if I had a Les Paul. It's been dropped, bashed, hit, and the finish is like it had just come out of the factory.

The construction on my EDR470 is totally un flawable. This may be untrue for others but not so here.

Made in Japan (Ibanez so there you go), totally perfect craftsmanship. Bolt-on Wizard II 22 jumbo fret, think it's rosewood fingerboard, very very quick, edges can be a bit awkward to reach over, upper fret access is easy. Luthite body, makes it heavy but the resonance is fantastic. Moon shadow finish (silver). Strat like body Ibanez S style. Floyd Rose Edge Pro II bridge, good string life excellent whammy usage. Active electronics. 1 volume pot, 1 tone pot, 5-way pickup selector, very flexible and versatile. H-S-H pickups, use the single coil for clean tones and just the buckers for overdriven (personal preferance). EMG by Ibz pick-ups designed for use with the luthite body of the EDR, they sound like a dream, bit wobbly but it doesn't affect the sound or playbility. Standard Ibanez tuners, non-locking, double-locking trem so locking ones aren't required. No accessories.