EDR470EX review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Ibanez: EDR470EX

Sounds nice, but with a set of EMG pickups, even a garbage can will produce an expensive sound. I did eventually notice the Luthite 'effect'. I let the guitar rest quietly in a corner on its stand & insisted that nobody even look at it (Spinal Tap anybody). After allowing the guitar to reach ambient room temperature, I could discern a faint harmonic tryst emmanating from the centre of the guitar. Yeah, right. WTF is Luthite?? I'll tell you; it's a cheap gimmicky alternative to an expensive piece of hardwood that you can charge lots of money for. No, you can't tell that it's anything special. And I wouldn't like to drop it onto anything solid either, Luthite is a resin (read: plastic).

Ibanez obviously think themselves big enough to take a few knocks manufacturing this instrument. Perhaps they are too big for their boots? A realistic new price for the 470 would be around 200 max. Whilst it looks very nice & outwardly appears to be a very expensive bit of kit, it is in reality a poor immitation of what it would like to be. Ibanez should get a slapped wrist for this one it really has put me off buying another by the same manufacturer.

We'll never find out, 'cause I wouldn't risk it. Strap buttons: nasty plastic boomerang thingies. I reckon one knock & they'd disintegrate. I'm selling it a week after I bought it, so dependability is irrelevant.

Aweful. Absolute garbage. I don't want to go overboard on this, but I've been playing guitars of all types for over 20 years & to date have never had the misfortune to have to try & get a guitar to do the impossible. In laymans terms, you want to get the strings lower than say 4mm at fret 12 without getting fret buzz/grounding. You can't. Physically impossible. A simple breakdown of where your 450~ (my 280 went). The frets: of unneven height at various points. Not just a little unneven, quite a lot. The ends of the frets are so rounded & the outside strings (especially top E) are so close to the edge of the fret end that pull offs are embarrassingly aweful. You know that horrible wanky sound you get when the string bends right off the fretboard? Welcome to hell. Overall finish (visible): really quite beautiful. A lovely subtle deep metallic green with posh looking hardware or so I thought. Take any of the covers off & you'll see what I mean. The phrase 's--t with sugar on' springs to mind. The hardware outwardly looks the biz, but is secretly cheap nasty Taiwanese base metal with an expensive outside finish. Tuning: Won't. I'm not going to comment further, 'cuase I'll get even angrier. Trem system is lamentably poor quality for this mid-priced guitar. Volume pot is the noisiest I've ever heard. Pickup selector Switch ditto. If you like to play loud in front of people, better get your insurance cover renewed, cos if you touch either of these WMDs mid flow, you're gonna kill someone with the noise.

OK, so although I only paid the bargain price of 280 as a second hand guitar, the Ibanez Ergodyne 470EX does have all the features that a guitar in its (new) price category should have. It retails new for around 450 new, & yes, it has all of the features it should: locking top, floyd rose, nice EMGs, fine tuners etc. Also has a new fangly Luthite (plastic) body for sustain, tone or something.