EDR470EX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: EDR470EX

Purchased from: Local music shop

I play anything from classic rock, funk, Indie, metal, metalcore, and this guitar does a sterling job. The Luthite body is heavy but gives fantastic resonance and sustain, almost like mahogany. I run it through a cheap Fender frontman 15W, but even with this the EMG pickups pump out a great, heavy sound. The humbuckers give great cleans themselves, but also give excellent crunch and a perfect balance between 'woodiness' and the clarity you get from active EMG pickups. Bridge gives a nice brash, hard distortion for things like Bullet For My Valentine, whilst the neck is great for that bassy wall of sound. Think Metallica or some of the heavier Lostprophets stuff. Along with all this, If you need some better cleans of more tones, the single-coil suffices nicely. The tone nob works well, giving a nice range of different, erm, tones.

I've been playing for nigh on a year and in short, this is an excellent guitar. It's built like a tank, is very playable, has great pickups and come with lots of features. One more thing to note though: I one plugged this thing into a 60w Roland Cube, turned all volumes up and activated overdrive. You know what I heard? Nothing. The thing was silent. So, the pickups are silent too with the right amp which I'm sure many will think of as a bonus. This guitar suits all sorts of styles, from AC/DC to RHCP to Trivium.

I have No Doubt that this guitar will withstand Live playing. The body is extremely durable but at the cost of weight, the nobs and selectors are solid and well built. The strap buttons on this thing are quite interesting: they are strange hook-type things which hold the strap well but are prone to breakage, especially the bottom one. I have now remedied this by bodging a regular strap button on the bottom, now this is not a problem. It is very dependable, I would probably gig with it without a backup (I always carry one spare though, just incase something goes wrong, but mainly for the different sounds of other guitars).

I got the guitar second-hand from a shop, so the set up was quite good. the neck was well done, the tuners were fine and eveything was in good shape. The action was quite high however, but because I am fairly used to high actions, I didn't do anything about it until recently when a good lowering made it much more playable but at the cost of some slight buzzing issues. Now she plays very nicely, using Hybrid Slinkys the neck is nice and fast, fretting is simple and generally she plays very well indeed. A unique feature of this guitar is the Luthite body. This is a very hard resin material, the advantages being that it is virtually indestructible and very nicely finished. There were no major flaws on the guitar, except the tremolo which appears to be made from fairly cheap metal- adjusting the fine-tuners can be extremely hard (a good wrench may be needed).

My EDR was made in Japan, don't know what year. Uses a 2pc Wizard II neck, 22 jumbo frets on a mahogany fretboard. Body is made from Luthite, a very hard resin. Mine is the metallic blue finish, with the ergodyne style (Strat-ish). Comes with an Ibanez Edge Pro II bridge, a good bridge which differs from the Pro in the way that you don't need to cut the balls of the end of the strings. This baby comes locked and loaded with a set of EMG-Designed pickups in H/S/H configuration, controlled my 1 volume, 1 tone nob with a 5-way selector. The trem is locking, so it uses Standard die-cast non-locking tuners. no accessories. They don't make this guitar anymore, I heard it was about 400 new, so the 200 I paid got me a very decent amount of features.