EDR470EX review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 3.2 Poor
Ibanez: EDR470EX

Purchased from: Secondhand

Once again, I play metal/jazz and rock. For metal, it lacks aggression and bite. For jazz, well it's solid body, y'know. And for rock, it's weak and flimsy. I played this through a variety of amps, mainly a Laney solid-state (forgot the exact model atm) and my Roland Microcube. Since the pickup configuration only allows you to get single-coils and no humbucker tones (although there are two humbuckers in the damn thing), your tone is limited, has a 60-cycle hum and is just flimsy overall. The EMG designed pickups are useless, they just don't sound alive or have that high-end tone to them. I've played Duncan Designed pickups and they sounded a lot better. In clean mode, it sounds okay but nothing special, no real fat and deep clean tones. It's overall just very limited and can't compare to other Ibanezes.

As stated before, I play rock/metal and jazz and overall this guitar FAILS in all three sections. Tone is pathetic, the guitar is heavier than sumo-wrestlers and is totally unreliable. I've played for three years and when this guitar thankfully died at the end, I bought myself a Washburn X30 which pwns this guitar in every sense. There are far too many things that I wish it had to list here. But in short, basically I wish it had everything that a good guitar for the list price should have. Do not buy this guitar unless you want a heavy wall decoration (which'd probably break within a year or so).

This guitar will not withstand Live playing. Within maybe half a year of playing this, the jack broke. Then I was informed that the jack had already broken before and had to be re-soldered before I bought it. Granted, it might just have been that the re-soldering on the jack was crappily done, but still, the fact that the wire broke within two years does not give off great kudos to the longevity of the EDR. The strap button also fell off within maybe a quarter of a year. Thankfully I got it replaced for free with some Dunlops. The finish is shit and flakes away when hit against something and I've had that experience twice with this guitar. The neck is also very prone to dings. I most definitely would not use this guitar at a gig without a backup as the damn guitar was so heavy (yet not sturdy) it'd probably fall off during the setlist and smash into bits.

I don't know the exact factory settings of it but my friend (who sold it to me) said he hadn't messed with any settings at all. Nonetheless, the action was terrible. The bridge was really high and whenever I used anything more than .009s on it and tried tuning to E, the bridge would de-tune. Messing around with the screws and springs didn't help either. The volume control on it was also a bit crackly, ditto the jack. The pickups were okay but they sounded terrible anyway. And the hardware was a bit rusty when I got it, but it was 2 years old by then so really I can't complain tbh.

It's nothing fancy but for the original price (410US), I think I would have expected a bit more. The EMG pickups don't do shit tonally as well. Floyd rose is terrible and you only get single coil sounds from this.

Spratty59
    Im always on this website and Iv never signed up... But i had to sign up to express my views on this guitar. Im 100% in agreement with the 3.2 and 4.8 ratings. This was supposed to be the first quality guitar i ever bought. It was far from that. This guitar put me off playing electric guitars and i became an acoustic guitarist for a good 5 years. I now have an american Tele and play it non stop... This guitar?! NADA! Stay away from it. Its awful!!
    GusB
    The guitar is enjoyable ... i have it for 3 years now ... the only thing i changed is the strap locks coz i've wanted locking strap locks to do my crazy stuff on stage ... it's a heavy guitar (the body is made from luthite ... i don;t even know what that is) the floyd rose ... meh ... i can be better ... and the pickup no so powerful for humbuckers ... lot of midrange and treble (that's mean that this guitar is good for hard rock and heavy metal music) but much more because of the lack of output (weak hums) the neck though is fantastic ... it's a wizard II ... and anyway ... all ibanez necks are fantastic ...