EGEN8 Herman Li Signature review by Ibanez

Ibanez: EGEN8 Herman Li Signature

Price paid: € 500

Purchased from: Private

The mahogany gives brightness to the sound but get cutted from the fingerboard. The 2-pieces body erases any noise. The final sound is a bit darker then expected (maybe because of the set-up), the body amplifies effectively most of the harmonics but looses (not so much) in high frequencies. Turned on my Fender 212-R in clean channel with basses to 3, middle to 3 and high to 5 and no reverb the guitar sounded not so much nasal like most of Ibanez (maybe because of equalization). The response was quite good: the basses were tasty and high not bad at all. I tried the middle-neck position and a few of reverb with Genesis' "Horizons" and the return was quite good for an Ibanez. I switched on the Drive channel with the gain to 6 and I can say that this baby is absolutely noisy. I had to put the tone lower. The sound with the Drive is rough, powerfull, and aggressive with the bridge pickup. This pickup has a bit too much basses frequencies but sounds good for metal. The crunch is good too and lowering the gain and the tone I brought out a perfect jazz sound. Soloing is easy thanks to the wizard II neck that has never let me down. The series pickups aren't the best but for what they cost they do their work quite well.

In the end I can say that this is the guitar for me, you know what I mean. I play almost Progressive Metal, but also Pop/Rock and Blues sometimes. I changed the PUs with an Alnico Pro AH1-N (non Slash signature) to the neck and an Invader to the bridge making this guitar the darkest, powerful, hungry, diabolic death machine you'll ever hear. Obviously if Heidi (it's name) would be stolen I would kill myself or, rather, I would buy another one. So, the bad thing of this instrument is the bridge if you cannot use it well, the set-up from the factory, the inlays (I changed them with some arabesque in nacre).

I used this as main guitar for an year almost, also in live it never let me down (almost). Yes if bad accorded the floyd rose gives you only problems but this guitar is thin, light, easy-playing, bears 2 hours of live, it's solid and what else you want. The hardwere gives a sensation on fragility but looks like they can bear some hit on stage and at home. I absolutely depend on it, I uses only this guitar and always I will, promess. The strap buttons are absolutely solid. Even if I change tuning to a drop B they always keep their position.

We all know Ibanez. They send almost perfect instruments for the newbie but in reality they need some adjustments. First of all I had to act on the Thrust rod because the chords were touching the neck while playing. The action, like most shredding guitar is really really low so some errors building it could exist, also it was used for 2 years so. Anyway I changed the PUs and founded the usual problem with Ibanez electronics: they're very confusing. I had loose most of my time moving cables than changing stuffs.

This guitar came in my hands through a friend. He had to earn some money and wanted to sell his best baby. This guitar, used only 2 years and in perfect conditions, has a flamed maple solid-top, 2-pieces Mahogany body, Rosewood fingerboard, Edge III Floyd Rose golden bridge that, in theory, would keep the tuning, locking tuners, Abalone Oval inlays, 24 Jumbo frets with the 22, 23 and 24 scalloped, Wizard II 3-pieces Neck. It is made in Japan, Pickup configuraiton H-S-H and mounts: - Ibanez V7(H) (Neck) - Ibanez S1(S) (Middle) - Ibanez V8(H) (Bridge) EGEN-8 has volume control, tone control, 5-way selector, splittable PUs. Good materials, good looking, bad PUs.