EXR170 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: EXR170

The guitar sound great; and because of 3 pickups it fits lots of music styles. The middle pickup (single) buzzes, but I only notice it when I use distortion/overdrive. But when I'm playing with distortion/overdrive I always use the humbuckers so that's not a problem at all. The humbuckers don't buzz btw. I use a Korg AX3G effect-pedal with it, wich allows me to get almost any sound I need.

When I bought the guitar a half year ago I didn't have much guitar experience so I trusted the shop owner that this guitar was the best guitar for that kind of money. I currently play for about 1 year and like to play lots of music styles (fast/slow, loud/quiet), everying goes on this guitar. It's my first electric and I really like it. Very good guitar for the money it costs!

I use this guitar almost every day about 1-2 hours. The tremolo arm is starting to get a bit of free-play. I replaced the strap holders with strap-locks because the strap came loose sometimes. Overall I think it's a quite reliable guitar.

The guitar was set-up quite good from factory. The only problem was/is that the lower E-string was too low (touched the fretboard when jamming it hard). I've raised the bridge a bit wich solved the problem. The control for adjusting the tone was loose, but the shop fixed that for me. Unfortunately the tremolo is not lockable. Bending strings was almost impossible with the original tremolo setup (only 2 springs are used for the tremolo). When I bent a string the tremolo was pulled down. I added a spring wich solved the problem. With a few little modifications it's a very nice guitar.

ZC3rr0r
    The thing just plains rocks. I wrote the original review, and now, 1 1/2 years later I am even more conviced that it's prolly one of the best things I ever bought. I recently upgraded the guitar with locking tuners, a roller nut, a tremsetter and a PAF Joe in the neck and a Mo'Joe in the bridge position, and I am absolutely certain this thing sounds as good as, or even better (due to not having one of those tone-killing Floyd Rose systems) than the Ibanez JS1000 this thingy was based on. All in all, I spent 165 euro's for the guitar, about 400 euro's on replacement hardware, and for only 565 euro's, I've got a guitar that'll do full shred to blues to whatever else I can come up with, and sounds good or better than 1000+ euro's guitars while doing it. Absolute killer job Ibanez!