G10 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: G10

Purchased from: The Music Shop

I play alternative, pop-punk, Indie, and some hardore. Although this guitar doesn't pull off any style very well, it is extremely versatile. You can go from a bright, twangy Strat-like clean using the split bridge pickup to very crunchy distortion with the humbucker if you tweak the settings right. However, neck and middle pickups leave much to be desired so I don't even use them. I play this through a Line 6 Spider III, and they compliment each other nicely. The amp really brought out this guitar's tone the guitar and there is literally no noise whatsoever. Considering it's a $150 guitar, I couldn't ask for more.

When I first started playing guitar I played mainly pop-punk. My tastes have since diversified, and although this guitar is versatile I am looking for something more suited to alternative and Indie. My amp is a good match for it and really helps to maximize its somewhat limited potential. I wish it had better single-coil pickups to broaden its range of sounds. I love the fact that this guitar is virtually indestructible, but I don't particularly like the look of it. When I bought it I wasn't even sure I would enjoy playing guitar, so I consider it a good investment. But if it were stolen, I would probably just wait for the Ibanez AS73 I'm getting for Christmas.

Let's just say I've dropped this guitar down a flight of stairs and it still plays fine. I've gigged with it before and didn't even think to bring a backup. The strap buttons aren't incredibly solid, but I don't go crazy on stage either so it stays just fine. The finish has some scratches and dents, but I don't particularly mind.

The action was flawlessly set up: low and no fret buzz. The guitar was in tune when I took it out of the box and does a good job of staying there, even without locking tuners. The pickups haven't moved in the 4 years since I've gotten the guitar. All of the hardware is as shiny as ever. The bridge is nice, although the whammy bar immediately sends everything out of tune so I took it out. The finish is pretty durable, although I've covered up most of the guitar with stickers.

Made in indonesia in 2003. Mine came in a starter pack with an IBZ10 amp, a gig bag, a cord, etc. It's got 3 pickups in an H/S/S configuration with a 3-way switch. I believe the humbucker is coil-split as well. There's one volume and one tone knob. It also has a tremolo bridge.