G10 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: G10

I've played with the pickup height to adjust the guitar to fit my style fairly well. I plug into a Marshall AVT100 which makes up for anything that my guitar fails on. I often use the middle pickup through my clean channel with a little reverb; this makes an almost perfect steel-string acoustic sound. The pickups definitely don't compare to anything like Seymore Duncan or EMG when it comes to harmonics because I can get my pinch harmonics to sound perfect on many other guitars, but when I play it on my G10, they just don't have the right tone. I wish that it had a little better sustain than it does also.

I play a lot of classic rock and '80s metal and, for the most part this guitar has worked out pretty well; definitely for the price. I've had it for about three and a half years and have appreciated its quality for the price that was payed for it. If something happened to it I'd look into buying an Epiphone Les Paul Custom or a Gibson Les Paul Custom if I got the money somehow. If this guitar's sustain and harmonics improved, it would be almost perfect, but as I said, for the price you can't beat it.

Being that it has a floating bridge, this guitar sometimes slips out of tune when the whammy bar is used. The hardware seems very durable and the strap buttons are very solid as I've never had any issues with the durability. It's probably a good idea to keep a backup on stage when using this guitar, but only because it might slip out of tune or something minor. I have had no problems with the finish of the guitar wearing off or anything accept when I've bumped into stuff or other incidents that aren't the guitar's fault.

I bought my guitar used and the intonation was a little off. The pickups were also not quite adjusted to fit what I wanted out of them, but I've fixed all that. Other than that, the guitar was in perfect shape and everything worked awesome, especially for the price. The playability is awesome; the feel of the thin neck makes speed and accuracy easier to accomplish.

22 medium frets on a rosewood fretboard with a maple neck that is bolted into a Strat-style alder body. It has a tremolo bridge that, if you have too thick of string guage, with float up. It has generic pickups: a bridge humbucker, a single coil middle pickup, and a single coil neck pickup. There is a 5-way pickup switch, 1 volume knob, and 1 tone knob. Most people buy this guitar in a starter pack that includes a practice amp, gig bag, and a few things that any beginner should have.

kerno1
    sounds really good on a fender amp.....well dosent any thing if you like acdc as much as me youll love the guitar mostly for beginners though wen you put the strap on be carefull coz the straplocks are real weak
    dx4life68
    funny how everyone says it has 22 frets.. i have the same guitar but it has 24
    Joe Moer
    dx4life68 wrote: funny how everyone says it has 22 frets.. i have the same guitar but it has 24
    Mines also 24 frets... strange.. But I agree this is one great beginners guitar, I use it all the time, it sonds great, except I get an occasional buzz on the Bass strings, and i've adjusted the bridge and straightened, the neck and all that... great guitar I love it!
    stradivari310
    stradivari310 wrote: this guitar sounds awesome on line 6 amps.. ive got a spider 3 30 watt and it kicks ass
    hahahha 1 year ago.. boy was I a noob
    cybermichaelusa
    i have this guitar, i love it, its something that i take around with me everywhere (not my main guitar though) and it has withstanded alot of dings. Just imagine, i hit the side of door and broke the 6 and 5 string but the guitar came out without a stratch lol, go figure. The only issue that i have is that it does humm or hiss in the amp, but its a GREAT guitar for your first 1-2 years while learning!
    ilovebamboo
    I personally dont like this guitar! Its super cheap, and im not going to bag it because of that!! I have cheap guitars, but i just think this guitar is poo! The action is terrible and the guitar is pretty boring and doesn't alow pitch harmonics easy! it doesn't sound okay through decent amp's though!! But i wouldn't own this guitar if someone threw it in my guttar! sorry!
    QuantumMechanix
    i think this guitar really varies. i got mine used for $160 and it plays great but ive played other G10s in stores and they played like crap and looks and sounded nothing like mine. also, mine has 22 frets
    SpreadTheSin
    I got a G10, bought it off a friend for $50, xD. Black pickguard though, ebony fretboard. I like it, I use it when not playing songs that require to tune low.
    IRISH_PUNK13
    MINE THE SHAPE I THINK IS KINDA LIKE A GIBSON SG , 2 PICKUPS, 1 VOLUME & TONE 22 FRETS DESCENT MINE HAS A BLACK PICKGARD SO I TOOK IT OFF AND FLIPPED IT ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GUITAR SO ON THE TOP ITS GOT A WHITE PICKGARD KICK ASS!!!!!