GAX30 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GAX30

It sounds great, I play mostly rock, but I dabble in the blues and jazz. I found the tone to be very clear on a clean channel and could be played around with to fit many styles. It is great for distortion and has a pritty nice rich sound compared to my older brothers expensive guitars ($1000ish). I'm not gonna play around, it's no Gibson SG, but for the price, it's wicked.

Overall, for the price this is a great guitar to buy. I'm going to university next year and I will be in university for the following 7 years minimum, so I wanted to get a sweet guitar that I could enjoy playing and that would last me while I was in university. My brother plays very expensive guitars as he was in a band that toured around south-western ontario, and as a matter of fact he has the Ibanez GAX70 in his collection of guitars as a backup. I was actually going to get the GAX70, but I felt that it wasn't worth it for a tunomatic bridge and 2 extra knobs. I use it conjunction with a Peavey blazer 153 15 wat amp but I also tried it my brothers marshal half stack and it sounded sweet. For the price, this guitar is great value and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

If there is one thing to be said about this guitar, it is solid. The strap pegs are so solid and have such a large diameter you almost don't need strap locks. As a mater of fact, I tried to put on my levies strap and I had to take the buttons off and put the strap on from the bottom of the button. This was combersom, but they are on rock solid and I don't worry about it slipping. I wouldn't do the emo through-over, but they are solid. Which brings me to another fact, the threads on the strap screws were thick and agressive especial compared to the ones on the Yamaha RGX121DM that I've been playing lately where one of the screws broke and is currently logdged inside the guitar. Also, over all the finish is great, but on the fret board there are some minor file marks and some other minor marks on the side of the fret board you can't see while your playing.

The set-up from the factory was deece, but the string heights needed adjustment for all of the strings on mine, they were all set to the highest. Also, the 12th fret on the 2nd string didn't play true, but that is most likely a matter of adjustment I have to get around to.

Mine is a 2006, made in Asia. It has 22 frest made with rosewood. Has a nice agathis body with a pritty nice finish. It deffinately has a unique shape which I like and the pickguard looks quite stillish. The bridge is a hard tail with a string-through body. It has a 3 way Switch and a volume and tone knob, both work well. It has two Ibanez open coil pick ups ans has no name tuners that work well enough.