GAX30 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GAX30

Purchased from: City Music

I play mostly rock styles although I do some softer genres sometimes. I would compare them to the likes of Green Day, Yellowcard, All-American Rejects, Blink 182, Boxcar Racer, Angels And Airwaves, while the softer side would be those like Maroon 5, The Eagles and Michelle Branch. This guitar suits all of these genres perfectly, I haven't found any faults in it except that the distortion can get slightly excessive at times. I use it with a Line 6 Spider 2 15W amp, and the combination is one of the best at this price. I have been thinking of installing a Seymour Duncan Parallelaxis distortion on the bridge, but I decided to play safe and go with the already great sound. The sound variety is considerably wide, but stuff like Santana and Hendrix should be left to the Strats.

I have been playing for about 2 years, and this guitar is much better than my previous Yamaha ERG121. I'd reccommend ernie ball hybrid slinkies on this one, the sound is perfect. If it were stolen I'd definitely get a new one, but right now I'm trying to get a Gibson Les Paul DC Faded to be on the higher-end. I love it as I'm a big fan of Green Day and this guitar can literally hit the tone of any song they play, from Letterbomb to American Idiot, and even to the hawaiian surf-style 'last ride in'. I wish it had come with nicer-looking knobs though; but nonetheless I switched them for a pair of Flying V style chrome ones.

This axe will definitely withstand live playing and no backup is required unless you intend to switch genres considerably. The hardware needs a bit of cleaning though, I'm starting to see more rust-spots. But nothing noticeable from a distance. Finish, like mentined above, looks and is durable and even after I accidentally slipped a screwdriver over it nothing was seen.

I didn't have to adjust the action ever since I bought it half a year ago. But what I noticed were tiny rusting areas and a tiny part above the neck chipped off. Nothing much, doesn't affect the sound at all. The finish is one of the best, I have been knocking this into walls but there is not a single scratch on it. Pickups needed a bit of adjusting as the distortion wasn't dirty enough.

Made in indonesia or something like that. It has a rosewood, 21-frettd neck with jumbo frets, easily accesible for people with medium-sized fingers. Its body is made of basswood, and the finish I guess is lacquered paint. Really tough lacquer. Its body is quite unique in terms of shape, sort of SG-style with a round bottom. Fixed hardtail bridge, nothing much. Reminds me of a Strat without a whammy. It is equipped with dual high-output humbuckers, with a 3-way selector, one volume and one tone. Tuners are chrome, relatively small in size. It doesn't come with any stock accesories but I got a gig bag with it.

llama_guitarist
    i have this guitar and i heart it. twas my first electric and i still use it a lot. it's a great first electric
    boyan89
    im getting this one and just a question is it any good for heavy metal
    aftermidnight_
    this is my guitar, my first electric, and I absolutely love it. its a great sounding guitar, not to mention the fact that it's a great looking one to boot.
    MightyRadiohead
    Great reviews. It's really helped me come to the decision to buy this Ibanez for my first electric. I've resisted the temptation to buy a starter pack (like a Squier) with cheap extras, and get a better quality guitar with my money. I can worry about buying the amp later, i'm hoping i can get away with just headphones for now. I managed to buy this for 100 (in black) from RockingRooster.co.uk, and i reckon thats a bargain.
    Strongbow
    I have this guitar, i bought it as an impulse buy for the pure look of it, its a really good guitar for the 120 i paid for it, better than most squiers and the like for its price range.