GAX30 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GAX30

Purchased from: Muztorg, Ukraine, Kyiv

Well, I'm not a very good guitarist, this is my first electric guitar, so my style is still in development. For now it's mostly a mix of grundge, metal, punk and a rock style with lots of arpeggio with an essence of gothic. But I also play other styles: the main thing in the song is the sound, not the genre. I think this guitar suits me pretty well, but I'd want a bit more controls. I use Marshall MG15CDR amp, and the sound could be all what I want to hear: from dark gothic to bright arpeggio, from power metal chords to nearly acoustic; warm, smooth and clear, you'd like it. I like it! Pretty much variety, but I wish I had a valve amp. Even jazz isn't impossible for GAX30: just play with amp and guitar controls, you'll find it. The only complaint about sound: please change the factory default strings to something better, it will be another guitar. I must suffer one annoying thing: not all houses have grounded socket in my country, so noise terrors me. I'll try to do something with that this summer.

I have nothing to add about my style, except I take many details from acoustic styles, because my first guitar was acoustic. It was made in USSR about 40 years ago, had a long windy life, but still sounds. Originally it had 7 strings, but my father turned it to a 6-string one. Yesterday I made it back to origins, to 7. I hope, my children someday will play it too. I have been a guitarist about 4 years, but I'm completely self-taught person, who discovered Internet only last year, so I'm not very good. But I think I could be now a rhythm guitarist in average band, but lead. Learning, learning and learning. About my new guitar, my GAX30. My favorite thing to do when I'm sad: I take guitar, turn on amp and play some arppegios with sad chords. I have time to think, to put my emotions on a wave of music. But when I'm angry, or very happy, I turn the Drive knob on an amp to max, and play, play till somebody turn off my amp. If it were stolen, I'd kill that person, but I'd need to buy a new guitar instead of this Snow-White, I'd buy something with H/S/H or H/H pickups and with a tremolo system, or if I had enough money, a Les Paul.

This guitar is very reliable: it survived all the little accidents it came in. Hardware is invincible, strap buttons are solid enough for me, finish is high-grade, I only wish it would have more protection from scratches. About gigs. It's strong enough. But don't imagine yourself as Kurt Cobain. I can't say more, because it's my only elecric guitar and I had no gigs.

Everything was OK, as my feeling told to me, Ibanez quality. I adjusted pickups a bit, but not for their incorrect tuning, but for the way I prefer it. I could buy more cheap guitar, but it would be just a piece of firewood. I think, my money isn't wasted. Only flaw was shop's fail, few little scratches on body. And, as I say, poor strings.

My guitar was made in Indonesia. I think, 2006. It's a good guitar for it's price, but it could has more features IMHO. 22 frets in thin neck with rosewood fingerboard. Body is basswood and has a gloss white finish (I like white). It's style is a mix of Strat and Les Paul design plus some Ibanez's ideas. Bridge is HardTail with trough-body stringing. Has two passive humbuckers and a lack of controls: volume knob, tone knob and 3-way Switch. But somebody could say: "Simplicity Rocks!" The amount of accessories is awful: just thin cable, some tuning tools and a manual for a full dummie.

samick/fender
    good beginer guitar till i recently replaced the pickups wiht duncan desinged hb-103s and now it sound really good lol
    Tummaenkeli
    My band's rhythm guitarist uses one, and it does sound better after some small modifications.
    EuanMack
    i would have to agree with everyone here, its a great guitar to have as your first and also great to play rythm on... but i have to say i was glad when i upgraded guitars!
    Nemesis_89
    I have a GAX30 and it sounds nice ! It looks good and its perfect for beginners and for better players