GAX30 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GAX30

Purchased from: UG ~ Second hand

I play a lot of rock/indie/punk/alt stuff, and this has always been able to adapt well. I play it through a bass amp because I'm primarily a bassist, but I've got enough effects for it to always come sounding great, it gives it a punchy bass driven undertone, even when I hit the bright strings.

Overall, a seriously better deal than I expected when I bought a cheap second hand guitar. I had lessons for a while a few months ago and the teacher took a blind guess at 300, and thought I was joking when I told HIM what I paid. If you're looking for a decent, reliable, heavy sounding guitar that isn't a clean cut rip off of something ese, loo no further. The style has been fiddled with so that it really isn't just a carbon copy of some other model, it is it's own guitar and it fills the gap nicely.

I've yet to play this Live, but I've been hammering away it it a lot for a good few months and it's been surprisingly resilient, definitely better than I expected. I haven't broken any strings on it and everything seems solid, so I'd be pretty comfortable gigging it, though as with any guitar I'd be careful playing without a backup.

I got this second hand, and the faceplate had been removed and holes filled, but it looks to much better without it, at least in white anyway. The hardware is all in good nick and the bridge seems especially well mounted, the whole thing has a good fit and finish really. As I said before the action on the neck is fantastic and I'd compare it freely to that of a Gibson SG.

I don't need to repeat the features listed in other reviews, but the main thing that stands out is the neck. For the price of this thing, it's a steal. I've played Gibson LPs, Fender Strats and a couple of the midrange PRS models, and the neck on this stands it's ground. Great speed, great finish, great action, generally amazing. The tuners have never given me a problem, and the pickups have a really whole tone, great for most styles, especially heavier stuff.

J.J.G.
    Distorted, gain 8, bass 6, treble 6, middle 3 killer distortion for metal or punk.
    "killer distortion for metal". from the frontman 15G? lol i craped my pants when i read this XD
    Casual-Gravity
    dang i need to make a decision about thisguitar in 30 minutes otherwise the offer is gone.. so if anyone is on please give me some advice. i think its a good deal though.. 300 bucks for amp +guitar (leads, straps, etc.)
    Lobyte
    Fuck squier, if you want a guitar for starters take this one, playing it since i started with electric guitars and still like it. Neck is also pretty good for shredding