GAX30 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GAX30

Price paid: € 180

I mostly play punk-rock/ pop-rock, like Paramore and New Found Glory. That sort of music. This guitar is pretty mch suitable for any musical style I guess, because it also plays the somewhat 'softer' music perfectly. Because this is actually the first electric guitar I ever got (and the only one I have right now), I can't really say anything about it, really). I use a Line6 SpiderIII (15 watts, I only use it for playing at home for now, don't need a huge amp for that). The guitar is sometimes pretty noisy, when I've got it on the disorted channel of my amp for example, it can be pretty noisy without even touching it. That would be a disadvantage I think. The guitar can produce various sounds I guess, powerchords, harmonics etc. Sound just great.

Well, as I mentioned earlier, I play the more punk-rock sort of music (Paramore for example). This guitar is very suitable, because it works really well when playing with (heavy) disortion. You really get that 'scratchy' sound which I personally love. I have been playing for almost a year now (electric guitar) and I think this guitar was a very good guitar to begin my 'career' with. I think, f it were stolen (don't hope so! ) I would definately buy the same guitar for the reasons I descibed above (but my taste in guitars has changed a bit over the last year, so if I had the money I'd go wit a Fender Tele Deluxe haha, I'll just keep dreaming. But yeah, overall, this guitar is perfect for beginners; it's pretty cheap and plays great!

This guitar seems very reliable to me, it's firmly put together, so I would definately use it when playing live. I would, however, recommend puuting some strap locks on the guitar, just in case. I did this too, because when I would play standing up, and really rocking out, the strap would go loose because it's holes are too big. So I put some strap locks on and now it's just really tight and it'll never go off.

The pickups are not that well put in, they're a bit loose, so I have to be pretty careful when playing. Also, the screws which are on the guitar (on the pickguard or on the back of the guitar for example) aren't really put in very well. Some of them look like they've been screwede in wrong, and then put back in (so you get like these little damaging spots around the screw). Also, the finishing on the 3-way pickup Switch is not perfect. You can see the 'range' where the paint stops, so you see like unfinished wood. But that's only a very small point overall on the whole guitar. The paintjob however was done nicely, I like the white shiny paint on my guitar.

This guitar has 22 medium frets, and it's neck is made out of Maple wood. This makes the neck very smooth and soft almost, and therefore you can really slide you hand up and down without having any problems with getting stuck or something. It's body style is actually a sort of mix between the Gibson SG and the Les Paul. It's bridge style is 'string-thru body, and it's got a 3-way pickup swith. It's got 2 switches; one for volume, one for tone. The pickups on this guitar are just Standard 'factory' pickups, I wouldn't know what type they are. The accessories which were included when I got my guitar were a gig-bag, which is very firm and handy, it's got a few like separate spaces to put stuff in, which you can all open and close by using the zippers. Also a strap was included, but I soon bought a new one, because it was an uncomfrtable nylon-strap. This thing really Hurt my neck so I replaced it for a new one. Also a short cable was included, but I never used it because I bought a longer and better one when I bought the guitar. Overall the features on this guitar work very well, and certainly for a beginners' guitar (which it is), I'm very pleased with it.