GAX70 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GAX70

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

This is a great rock/classic metal-style guitar and can handle a lot of sounds. As far as I know, it sounds great through Peavy and Marshall amps with just about any sound, but rockin' distortion is what this thing was meant for. It's not very noisy, and has your basic fat sound that humbucking pickups are known for. Even at high volumes, I never really acquired any major feedback problems with a lot of gain and distortion.

This isn't quite my style of guitar (especially not anymore anyway) but if you dig its style, look & feel, than it's well worth your money. I would suggest this guitar for a rocker or a classic metal fan. This guitar is very sturdy, sounds and even plays great-especially for a guitar of its quality and price range, so if you're looking for a guitar that won't cost a fortune but get the job done (like some blazing solos), the GAX70 might be good way to start.

I got it used, so there were some chips and knicks here and there, but it seemed as if in order for them to get there in the first place, it took a lot of force and banging around. The hardware is very durable, and I even gigged with it a couple of times! However one problem I had after a while was the strap buttons, so picking up a set of strap locks might be a good idea for this guitar. If looks are your thing when you play with a guitar, you really don't have to worry about it with this one because it's very durable and the finish never seems to wear out, even after prolonged periods of playing.

The action is very low (just how I like it) and is extremely comfortable to play while either standing up or sitting down! I changed the pickup setting myself to a sound setting that I prefer, but there was nothing wrong with original settings (I just happen to like a setting where the pickups are raised on the treble end, and lower on the bass end). The bridge is excellent-I wrap the string around the back a la Zakk Wylde and it hold up very well. To my knowledge, there were never any real flaws on this guitar and always felt right playing with it-even though it's not an expensive one.

This guitar was definitely made in the '90s, and this particular model in Indonesia. It has 22 frets, relatively flat neck, medium frets, and a rosewood fretboard. Solid top body which I belive was alder and a maple neck. This model has a see-through red finish of some kind, which has a similar body shape to a Gibson SG. The bridge style was a Tune-O-Matic with a stop tailpiece. The tuners are very smoothe, but I'm not sure what make they are (perhaps stock Ibanez)? The controls are as follows: 2 volume knobs, 2 tone knobs and a 3-way selector switch. It has 2 humbucking stock Ibanez pickups. They're great as they are, but these featured are not my prefered style of guitar settings.

C40.is.hot
    I'm planning on getting this used for $160. I tried it through a Marshall 100-watt and a Boss DS-1 and it sounds awesome. I also own a Squire Tele and it gets me the Red Hot Chilli Peppers sound right but I'm thinking of branching out to more "modern" forms of music. So do you guys think I should get this?
    Shreddin 4 Life
    Trust me, $160 is a pretty good deal. If u like the sound & feel etc..., go for it! It's actually a very decent guitar, especially for someone who's been playing for only a couple of years.