GAX70 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GAX70

This guitar suits my style of playing. I play rock/alt, which in my case also includes a lot of clean. I use a Line 6 PODXT Live. I practice through a line6 spider 2 15 and play gigs through a Line 6 HD75 and a Line 6 cab. Not noisy to me, but I use a gate and that eliminates a lot of noise. The sound can be rich and full or bright. I can get either out of this guitar. Over all this guitar can give you pretty much whatever you want. I've played through tube amps solid state amps all different pedals and stompboxes and they all fit well seem to sound well with this guitar. It is pretty well rounded. Lots of variety.

I play really clean to really distorted. It matches all that I want. Though when I play really low distortion I can't get those notes as well as bright high notes. If it were stolen or lost I would probably buy something different just because I think there are better guitars out there. My favorite feature is the Tune-O-Matic bridge. it's just easily adjusted. I chose this guitar for the feel and the sound. I had compared it to an Epiphone SG (turned off by the body), and a squire Strat. I wish it had differnt pickups, though the ones it has are good enough there are better.

This guitar is very sturdy and relieable. It could withstand live playing and I know this because I use it and continue to use it in small gigs. I replace the strap buttons with the locking ones that attach the your strap just because I feel safer doing that. I would depend on it anywhere. I have banged it on things (on accident) and it survived. Even after hitting it on stuff the finish and hardware doesnt't seem to be phased. It still plays well and hasent stopped playing. The finish is very durable. Seems to be able to last a life time. I wouldn't use it with a back up just because of the possibility.

This guitar was set up really nicely. I have adjusted the pickups and string hieght slightly but just for pesonal preference. Everything was properly put together, no flaws, no loose hardware, nothing really to complain about. I have replaced the tone and volume knobs just for a different look and I added a pickguard from a GAX30 to change the look. But all that is personal preference. Nothing needed. I will be replaceing the pickups with a custom custom and a pearly gate but then again it is all personal preferance. I like the stock pickups and will keep them maybe for another guitar of mine.