GAX70 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GAX70

It is pretty much THE GUITAR for my playing style. I like to play hard rock and alt metal so it suits me perfectly. I can emulate anything from AC/DC to Three Days Grace. I use a fifteen watt Crate amp and I generally use distorted effects. I would not call it noisy but it sure gets up there on both distort and clean. On clean it has a very bright sound and on distort in drop-d it pulls off those crunchy riffs. It can play very well on both distort and clean so I surely reccomend it. It is good for both low-end rhythm and this baby can scream on solos.

This (and all Ibanez guitars) suit the style of hard rock and alt metal very well. The primary reason I bought an Ibanez guitar was because they just suit my style of playing so well. I've been playing for five months and would still call myself a beginner. In addition to my GAX70 I own an Ibanez PF acoustic guitar, a Crate amp, and a gig bag. I honestly wish that I had asked if it had tremolo capablilties, but hey, the G in GAX70 means it's from Ibanez's budget range so I got what I payed for. If it were stolen I would probably shoot for an Ibanez RG or SZ series instead, but just because I dislike this guitars lack of customizablilty for beginners. I love this guitar's sound and it's ease of play. I am a beginner and it suits me just fine. I hate it's lack of customizability, especially it's inability to support a tremolo. My favorite feature is very much it's sound. It produces the exact sound that I want in my guitar. When I was buying I was deciding between this and a Fender Squier Telecaster. I chose this because of it's hard rock and emtal backgrounds, more like the things I like to play. Once again I really wish it had tremolo or whammy bar-like feature. All in all a great guitar for beginners Who like heavier music.

When I start doing gigs it will surely be with this guitar. I have been playing with it for five months and I trust it very well, enough to use without a backup. The hardware seems like it will last for a long time since I've never had any problems thus far. The strap buttons however did present a problem. I dropped this guitar three times with the original strap bottons and I got tired of it. I added some Jim Dunlop Straploks and I have not dropped it since. The finish is pretty reliable I don't think I could remove it if I tried to.

Just like the guy at Guitar Center said, this guitar came out of a good tree and a good day at the factory. It really has no problems with action, and the pickups were adjusted on spot. The bridge is routed correctly and the top is bookmatched on par. The finish is spotless and I even dropped it on tile floor and it didn't get scratched. The input could be screwed in a little more but otherwise it's golden.

My GAX70 was probably made in the early thousands in the Philippines. It has 22 medium rosewood frets with pearl dot inlays and a laminated top. The body is made of agathis and has the classic double cutaway SG look. It has a transparent red finish and a BR-EG bridge with passive electronics. It has two volume knobs and two tone knobs with two powersound humbuckers, one below the neck and one below the bridge. It's got a three way Switch and Ibanez non-locking tuners. My first guitar and not at a bad price with a strap and gig-bag included.

guitarist10
    I think you can have this guitar fitted with a tremolo bar fairly easily too...im not sure though