GAX70 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GAX70

Purchased from: Daddys Junky Music

This guitar was pretty good for metal and rock but reallu buzzy on high volume going through my Vox but when going through the amp that came with it it buzzes crazily on low volume. I replaced the pickups with a dimarzio fred for the bridge and a paf for the neck. Now it sounds great for everything but the input jack could be replaced with something that doesn't loosen and buzz when it loosens. Just don't expect to play loudly with the thing.

I play a lot of different kinds of rock metal and reggae and this was a good match. For $200 it was a great guitar however it didn't work well for reggae and wasn't that great for metal. This is my first and only guitar (I'm getting a new one soon) and I've been playing it for 2 years now. If it were stolen I'd try to hunt down whoever got it but I wouldn't buy a new one. I play it through a good Vox amp and a Dunlop jimmy hendrix wah. I don't really love anything about except the new pickups. I hate the input jack which gets loose and buzzes often so I will get a new heavy duty one. No favorite feature. It is the best beginner guitar I've played. I've compared it to cheap Strat copies wth wimpy single coils and reaaly beefy necks that have horrible action. I wish it had coil taps now that I've installed new pickups. Overall I haven't seen a better guitar at $200.

I would not use it for live playing unless it were to have new tuners installed but it is very reliable in every other way. The thing is a beast when it comes to durability. I slipped on ie and the thing slammed into the pavement in a cheap gig bag and the thing survived perfectly. The strap button (actually a screw and some form of washer) ripped out of the wood after a couple of months but liquid nail fixed that and it's been fine for 2 years. The fnish scratches easily so try not to hit it with anything.

Overall ith was set up pretty well. I had to lower the acion a bit and press down the frets a little to get better action without fret buzz. Pickups had to be raised a litle to get a better sound. wiring was a bit messy but worked fine. No routing or finish flaws. Overall not bad because this was meant to be more a beginner guitar.

This guitar is pretty basic but really good as a begginer guitar. Mine is a special one from a jumpstart package that came with gig bag, mini amp, cable, digital tuner, and a cable. It only has one tone and one volume though. The 2 pickups are the best I've seen on a guitar of the price. Tends to go out of tune pretty easily when using a lot of vibrados and crazy solo stuff. Overall better features than expected.

benkarton
    this guitar sounds pretty good...although,it is neck-heavy so when youre standing up playing it you have to hold it up with your palm while hitting chords... that kind of sucks... the guitar is good for beginners though.
    davibro
    this is mine and ive been playing for 3 months now and i want a better one...