GAX70 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GAX70

Purchased from: Local music shop.

I run this monster through a DigiTech RP250 to my Behringer GM108 amp. The only excess noise I get is probably from my distortion settings on my RP, but those are blocked with a noise gate. This guitar suits all types of playing: blues, metal, rock, you name it, this is versatile enough to perform it, and perform it well.

I play mostly metal and have owned one guitar before this one. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably save up for an RG and get on of those, but this guitar is amazing for beginner to intermediate levels. The only thing that I wish was on here would be a whammy bar, but that would look pretty weird now, wouldn't it? To the guys at Ibanez: Thank you for once again making a spectacular guitar.

I can say with confidence that this guitar would withstand Live playing. Fast neck, solid strap buttons, this thing is very dependable. I would definitely use it without a backup. I could probably throw this through two brick walls, pick it up, and bust an insane solo, drop it from a tall building, pick it up, maybe tune it a little, and bust another solo. No problems with this guitar.

The action was perfect on this guitar, and the pickups were spectacular. The only complaint I have on this guitar would be a chip in the finish on the upper cutaway. I'm sure the owner before me put it there and not the factory, so, I won't hold that against my review.

I'm pretty sure this beast was made in Indonesia, like most other Ibanezs. It has 22 frets and the neck is very thin. It has a nice (and durable) black finish that makes it look wonderful. This guitar sort of looks like a double cutaway Les Paul. It is equipped with a Tune-O-Matic bridge, and mine had two Seymour Duncan distortion humbuckers slapped in there. Finally, it had 2 volume and tone knobs, and a 3-way toggle switch.